AUTISM SPECIALIST SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER
Name of Organization: Mundo Peetabeck Education Authority
Name of School: Peetabeck Academy, Fort Albany, ON
Location: Community is along S shore of Albany River and on Sinclair Island at mouth of Albany River on James Bay, 450 km N of Timmins
Description of school: Peetabeck Academy provides educational services and supports to elementary and secondary school students living on reserve.
- Administers education programs and schools through the Mundo Peetabeck Education Authority
- Operates Peetabeck Academy, an on-reserve school for students from JK to Grade 12
Qualification: Applicant must have AUTISM specialist (or willing to become a specialist), basic qualification on OCT or any equivalent teaching qualification from any provincial certificate.
Salary: As per Board’s salary grid and QECO rating or equivalent qualifications evaluation
A rewarding opportunity awaits you at Peetabeck Academy. Currently we are looking for an Autism Special Education Teacher as one position. Our mission is to provide place where students, families and staff find support to learn, grow, discover and ultimately believe in themselves. Teacherages are rent free, pet friendly and a lot more facilities are available at Fort Albany.
Reports to: Principal
About You: You are an individual who views teaching as a vocation. You are dedicated, thoughtful, self-reflective and you bring your best to your students and classroom every day. You are a professional who is committed to best practices and ongoing professional learning. An educator who seeks to inspire, challenge and prepare students to become future leaders within their communities. You are motivated to provide students with an exceptional liberal arts education, and excited to become involved in the myriad of co-curricular programs offered by our school. You work hard to make students better learners, and better people. You help them to believe in themselves, and to recognize and to choose goodness. And, you can’t imagine doing anything else. It is how you change the world.
If you are this kind of teacher, we invite you to apply to Peetabeck Academy.
Position Summary: The Autism Specialist will work with a special focus on the needs of students with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASDs) who may or may not be qualified for special education. This individual will collaborate with school administrators, counselors and psychologist to provide support to students, school staff and parents in the development of an instructional and/or behavioral intervention program for individual students that will promote a positive school climate and a successful learning environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides instructional methodology and behavioral support and training to teachers, children and staff.
- Responsible for the delivery of a structured environment that includes the use of diverse evidence based strategies for the support of students with ASDs.
- Plans and supports implementation of the essential components of an instructional program for students with ASDs to include: early intervention, predictability and structure, functional analysis of behaviors, development of behavior intervention plans and systematic data monitoring.
- Provides support for the development of individualized student and family-centered educational plans in collaboration with school teams and district administrators.
- Works as a member of the school’s Special Education Leadership Team and with members of school teams to assess student needs, determine appropriate interventions, set up appropriate progress monitoring plans, analyze student data and complete Functional Behavioral Assessments with Behavior Intervention Plans in order to provide appropriate behavioral supports for students.
- Trains and coaches’ staff in instructional strategies around executive functioning and social cognitive deficits consistent with a diagnosis of ASD.
- Trains and coaches’ staff in appropriate use of visual supports and environmental modifications to meet the educational needs of students with ASDs.
- Assists in the implementation of individualized transition plans to ensure that students receive skills necessary for successful full-time re-entry in general education classrooms
- Provides crisis response and management for students who are experiencing significant behavioral and emotional challenges.
- Keeps appropriate records and inform administration and staff of student or family contacts
- Required to follow Board policies and stay abreast of updates and changes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to conduct a Functional Behavioral Assessment and develop a Behavioral Intervention Plan that is instructionally focused and considerate of common characteristics of students with ASDs as well as being sufficiently individualized.
- Experience in coaching school-based staff in behavioral strategies.
- Experience in providing professional development to teachers and other school staff.
- Documented competence in working with students with ASDs in a school setting.
Job Type: Full time
How to Apply:
- You must submit your application using only one of the methods: Word or Pdf version.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications list on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- You must provide a minimum of 3 references with permission to speak with them
- Please submit your application to the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember: This posting will remain open until we find a suitable candidate.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.