POSITION: COUNSELLOR IN ACADEMIC TRAINING
DEPARTMENT: POST-SECONDARY STUDENT SERVICES
COMPETITION NUMBER: ACADTRAIN2110-01
STATUS: FULL-TIME REPLACEMENT POSITION
DURATION: NOVEMBER 2021 – MAY 2022
Kativik Ilisarniliriniq (KI) is a school board offering educational services in the 14 communities of Nunavik.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the staff in the Montreal office will be teleworking until further notice.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Student Services, the Counsellor in Academic Training provides individual and group academic counselling to post-secondary Inuit students studying at primarily French language institutions or programs. The Counsellor’s main duties include but are not limited to:
FUNCTION & DUTIES:
- Support program and course selection.
- Help students navigate the academic environment of post-secondary studies in terms of accessing on campus resources and supports.
- Provide career counselling by advising the students on how to establish and achieve short term and long-term professional goals.
- Develop, prepare, onboard and welcome new Inuit students entering post-secondary programs.
- Collaborate with other members of the PSSS team to coordinate and present recruitment or social activities to improve their academic outcomes.
- Maintain up to date documentation with regards to academic support that they provide.
- Represent and advocate for Inuit students at their chosen institution to assist in the removal of institutional and systemic barriers they may encounter.
- Collaborate with the student’s assigned social counsellor to ensure that they are receiving professional support services for their well-being.
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor.
- First level University Degree in a relevant field (teaching, counseling, educational specializations)
The Board may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the afore-mentioned qualifications if it finds a suitable candidate who is a beneficiary of the James Bay and Northern Québec Agreement (JBNQA) and who accepts, as a condition of employment, to follow a training plan determined by the Board.
- Minimum of 2 years French as a second language teaching experience.
- Fluency in French comprehension, oral communication, writing and reading.
- Computer literacy.
- Familiarity with northern and native education is an asset.
- Flexible hours may be required.
- Must be available to travel to the North when required.
CLASSIFICATION / SALARY / BENEFITS:
In accordance with the SPPOM collective agreement for professionals. This position belongs to job category 2153: from $44 671 to $74 842 annually depending on qualification and experience.
In addition to salary, you may be eligible to other benefits such as:
- 20 days of annual vacation
- 2 weeks of vacation during Holiday season
and, when applicable, other benefits such as:
- Summer schedule
- Northern allowance
- Social trips
- Food cargo
All benefits are prorated based on the percentage of the task.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION IS: 4:00 pm, October 25th, 2021
SEND APPLICATION BY EMAIL TO:
You must indicate ACADTRAIN2110-01 in the subject of the e-mail.
Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.