Position: Database Help Desk
Matawa First Nations is a progressive Tribal Council of nine Ojibway and Oji-Cree Northern Ontario First Nations. The Matawa Education Department delivers a variety of education programs and services for Matawa First Nation schools.
Matawa Education Department invites applications for the position of Database Helpdesk with the Matawa First Nations Student Success Program (FNSSP). Reporting to the PASS Administrator, theDatabase Helpdesk will ensure that school data system and other school supporting systems is planned, implemented, managed and utilized appropriately resulting into more effective and efficient management and reporting of student information. In conjunction with PASS IT team, Database Helpdesk identifies and facilitates the required technical and functional training and support to the school staff to maximize the use of the school data system. Database Helpdesk is responsible to ensure IT infrastructure related to the school data system is appropriately managed. Needs for support are identified, prioritized and facilitated.
Qualifications / Requirements:
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of Dadavan Outcomes system
- Knowledge of Apple and Windows computer platforms
- Data entry
- Knowledge of general office applications (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, Internet)
- File and records management
- School and student record management
- Issue assessment, prioritization and tracking
- Status reporting for management
- Business analysis thought process to identify the needs of the customers i.e. school staff
- Basic knowledge of TCP/IP network configuration for system clients and servers
- Technical writing skills
- Basic understanding of Linux, Apache and Tomcat configuration, support and maintenance
- Basic understanding of school and community needs which utilize satellite internet access
- Basic knowledge and experience with Dadavan, Linux and Windows environments
- Knowledge of Ojibway, Cree or Oji-Cree is an asset.
- Previous IT Helpdesk experience is an asset
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Customer service and care oriented
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Organizational skills
- Project management skills
- Strong administrative skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
The incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of IT Technician. The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Physically fit and able to work outdoors, in confined spaces, and not afraid of heights
- Able to work effectively with school staff, students, parents, administration staff, and government and First Nations organizations
The successful applicant will be required to submit a current Criminal Record Check and TB skin test.
We offer competitive salary and benefits commensurate with education and work experience. This position will be based in Thunder Bay with extensive travel required to Matawa First Nation communities. This is a contract position to March 31, 2022, with a possibility of extension, pending funding and a successful performance review.
For additional information, including specific qualifications for the position, please visit the Matawa website: www.matawa.on.ca.
Please submit a cover letter with resume and three employment references to:
Sharon Nate, Executive Director: Education Department
Matawa First Nations Management
RE: Database Helpdesk Competition
200 Lillie Street North
Thunder Bay, ON P7C 5Y2
Fax: (807) 768-3301
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Matawa First Nations; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled