No.: SCH II-21-0246NTE
POSTED: October 6, 2021
DEADLINE: 12:00 Noon, October 15, 2021
Early Years Coordinator
1 – Acting Position
1 – Term Position
Equity, Well-Being and School Improvement
Schedule II, Level 5
(Non-Union – 12 Month)
$69,741 – $83,688
(It is anticipated that the Acting assignment will end on October 1, 2022)
(It is anticipated that the Term assignment will end on August 31, 2022)
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices
Reporting to a designated Manager – Child Care Services, the Early Years Coordinator will provide support in the coordination and implementation of early years services in the TDSB which serves children from 0-12 years of age and their families, in accordance with Ministry of Education mandate, Child Care & Early Years Act (CCEYA) and the Education Act.
Early Years Services include but are not limited to: licensed child care, TDSB extended day programs, before- and/or after-school programs, authorized recreation programs, and family support programs (EarlyON).
Summary of Duties:
- Respond to community requests for information and problem solve issues regarding early years programs in accordance with the Renewed Ontario Early Years Policy Framework, TDSB policies and practices, City of Toronto – Children Services Policies, the Child Care & Early Years Act (CCEYA), the Education Act and provincial licensing requirements;
- Work closely with the Managers and early years team to implement early years services in accordance with Ministry requirements;
- Design, develop and maintain accurate records and data for reporting to the Ministry, the City of Toronto, senior staff, etc.;
- Develop and follow work plans, critical paths and reports in conjunction with the Managers related to early years services and early years programs to achieve intended targets and goals;
- Convene and manage consultations with Principals, educators and child care operators as needed;
- Assist in the management of budgets related to ministry/city funding of early years programs including Extended Day Programs, where applicable;
- Provide operational and program support to child care operators and Principals, educators and early years staff;
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of special projects;
- Coordinate placements of ECE’s in conjunction with schools and community colleges;
- Work collaboratively with other TDSB staff to co-develop and co-facilitate professional learning for ECEs, early learning school teams and child care partners;
- Work closely with third party child care agencies, extended day program and other early years staff to provide training and professional learning related to current policies, legislation and early learning resources;
- Resolve issues escalated from third party childcare providers;
- Work closely with other departments to ensure records are accurate;
- Supervise and support Early Childhood Educator (ECE) and staff in Before and After School Programs, including extended day programs, at multiple sites as required;
- Ensure adequate program coverage for absent staff during planned or emergency absences as required;
- Collaborate to ensure the effective planning, promotion, implementation and licensing of Before and After School Programs;
- Ensure appropriate and on-going communication to child care agencies and other early years stakeholders;
- Attend and participate in meetings both internal and external to the TDSB;
- Liaise with other programs and departments (e.g., Nutrition Services) and facilitate effective planning and programming;
- Support the implementation of department plans and the Early Years Strategy in conjunction with other members of the Early Years team;
- Provide leadership in fostering equity and inclusiveness in the development and implementation of programs and services; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Two year community college Early Childhood Education Diploma with at least three years of related experience in an Early Years program(s);
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience;
- Registration with the College of Early Childhood Educators (RECE);
- Knowledge of Ministry of Education Kindergarten Program and Extended Day Programs;
- Experience managing projects;
- Proficient computer skills and proven experience in using a variety of software applications to fulfil work plans;
- Knowledge of related legislation, and working knowledge of TDSB related policies and procedures (e.g., Early Years) and collective agreements;
- Experience in developing and facilitating professional learning;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a diverse school community environment;
- Ability to communicate in a sensitive, courteous manner with children, parents, all TDSB staff and the general public;
- Proven ability to deal with emergency situations and to take appropriate action in accordance to policies and procedures;
- Ability to maintain strictest confidentiality;
- Strong organization and time management skills with ability to meet deadlines; and
- Proven ability in promoting equitable practices which value inclusiveness and diversity.
- Provision of own vehicle for Board Business.
- Requires regular travel across the TDSB.
Location: 2 Trethewey Drive (wheelchair accessible)
Work Year: 12 months
Hours: 35 hours per week scheduled to meet program needs, for example:
- Early Shift: 6:00am to 2:00pm
- Regular Shift: 8:30am to 4:30pm
- Late Shift: 10:30 am to 6:30 pm
Applications must be submitted:
- in résumé form with a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- with competition # SCH II-21-0246NTE in the subject line
- Apply no later than 12:00 noon on October 15, 2021.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance, during the application process.
Note: All Toronto District School Board Employees are required to be fully vaccinated in accordance with the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Procedure for Employees, Trustees and Other Individuals (PR734).
For new employees joining the Board, prior to the first day of work they must be fully vaccinated (subject to TDSB-approved exemptions) and show proof of vaccination as a condition of employment.