Position of English Program Director
ALBERT EINSTEIN SCHOOL
HO CHI MINH CITY, VIETNAM
Commencing August 1, 2016 for a two-year contract period
The Albert Einstein School (AES) Grades 1 through 12 offers the Vietnamese National Curriculum and EdExcel curriculum for English, Math and Science 17 periods per week. AES is located in BinhChanh District of Ho Chi Minh City.
The Board of Directors of the Albert Einstein School is seeking a dynamic, experienced and committed educational leader for the position of English Program Director.
AES is committed to providing outstanding learning opportunities for students to demonstrate academic excellence, life skills and character development. Currently AES houses 250 students from Grades 1-11 and anticipates enrolment in the 2016-2017 of 550 students.
Overall responsibilities for the English Director:
- Supports the AES educational vision and strategic directions in building a world class private school system as determined by the Board of Directors;
- Supports the work of the Board of Directors on new initiatives to widen the scope of AES programs and activities;
- Is accountable for student achievement and well-being, student enrolment and retention, and sustainability of a highly qualified staff for English Department;
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, the Leadership Team of Principals and Vice Principals, the Operations Manager, all academic and administrative staff, parents and community partners;
- Inspires confidence of AES parents and community in the delivery of the English program for all students as a world class private school;
- Supports the strategic and systematic professional learning of the teaching staff of AES;
- Demonstrates expertise as an effective leader who is student-centered, able to build a culture of excellence, and lead staff with English programs and instruction that will engage and meet the needs of AES students;
- Promotes and models strategic use of data to improve English learning and ensure a safe, caring and dynamic learning environment and school culture;
- Co-implements with the Principals and Vice Principals of AES the annual school improvement planning process and works to ensure the School Improvement Plans are aligned and coherent with the Board of Directors’ vision and strategic directions;
- Supports the Board of Directors in the effective development and results-oriented implementation of curriculum and co-curriculum that ensures students success as English Language Learners;
Professional duties and role accountability:
The Head of Department is responsible for:
- Leads and manages the English Department including, modeling best practice in English teaching, implementation of EdExcel curriculum and ESL program from Grades 1 -12, monitoring achievement of students and effectiveness of teachers, dealing with all operational, budgeting and record keeping requirements and ensuring fair and effective assessment procedures.
- Assists in the hiring and supervision of academic staff to ensure high quality teaching and teaching methodologies that meet the needs of students where English is their second language
- Collaborates with Admissions and Public Relations Marketing Staff in the public relations, marketing, and admissions processes;
- Ensures effective teaching and assessment processes within the English department, evaluates the quality of teaching and learning, the achievement of all students and sets targets for improvement.
- Provides active leadership for all those involved in teaching or supporting the English department. This will include mentoring, collaborating and the sharing of information so that staff motivation is at an optimum level to encourage continuous improvement in the quality of teaching and learning.
- Manages all allocated teaching and support staff including assisting with recruitment, managing performance and meeting agreed targets.
- Creates effective teams by inspiring and motivating students and staff; is a positive role model for other staff and students by taking responsibility for the continuous improvement of the team.
- Identifies appropriate resources for the department and ensure that they are used efficiently, effectively and safely.
- Ensures continued innovation in the teaching of English. Providing opportunities for enrichment for gifted students and oversees all out of hours English related learning.
- Encourages the use of ICT in all appropriate areas of English learning.
- Actively works with members of the English Department in planning a pathway for the professional learning needs of the faculty.
- Holds regular staff meetings with published agendas.
- Other duties as required by the Principal
- Education and administrative qualifications.
- Demonstrated Head of English Department or administrative experience
- International or private school experience preferred
- EdExcel/ IGCSE experience an asset
Professional Attributes and Experience
- Proven ability to motivate, lead and supervise staff;
- Evidence of data-based decision making
- Experience in developing and implementing school improvement plans
- Superior leadership ability;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills,
- Demonstrated commitment to student success;
- Successful academic leadership experience in education or education-related fields.
- Experience in the international environment.
- Experience in working with English Language Learners and/or in Extended Language or Immersion Programs
- Proven cultural competencies
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrated ability in public relations
The CISS invites qualified, capable and highly effective educational leaders to apply for the above position. This position is for the period stated above and can be extended by mutual agreement of the parties. Candidates must have a willingness to adapt to a different cultural context and to work as a team in a challenging educational environment.
Remuneration is based on experience and qualifications and includes housing allowance, costs of flight to and from home country to Ho Chi Minh City once per year, lunches each day from the school cafeteria, and free tuition for children of the successful applicant. Basic medical and health insurance is provided.
- Review online information about AES by visiting http://www.aesvietnam.edu.vn
- Submit the following:
– Your cover letter;
– Your resume;
– The names and contact information (tel. number(s). and email addresses) of three professional references. Your referees are, preferably, those who have been in a supervisory role to you and who can be readily contacted to provide a reference by phone or email.
- Make your application to Ms. Ngan email@example.com
If you have questions, please contact Ms. Ngan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.