High School Guidance Counsellor & Cooperative Education Teacher Position (one position)
Name of Organization: Mundo Peetabeck Education Authority
Name of School: Peetabeck Academy, Fort Albany, ON
Location: Community is along S shore of Albany River and on Sinclair Island at mouth of Albany River on James Bay, 450 km N of Timmins
Description of school: Peetabeck Academy provides educational services and supports to elementary and secondary school students living on reserve.
- Administers education programs and schools through the Mundo Peetabeck Education Authority
- Operates Peetabeck Academy, an on-reserve school for students from JK to Grade 12
Qualification: Applicant must have Guidance and coop teacher additional basic qualification on OCT or any equivalent provincial teaching certificate with these two (2) mentioned qualifications
Salary: As per Board’s salary grid and QECO rating or equivalent qualifications evaluation
A rewarding opportunity awaits you at Peetabeck Academy. Currently we are looking for a High School Guidance Counsellor & Cooperative Education Teacher as one position. Our mission is to provide place where students, families and staff find support to learn, grow, discover and ultimately believe in themselves. Teacherages are rent free, pet friendly and a lot more facilities are available at Fort Albany.
Mission of Guidance counsellor: At Peetabeck Academy the mission of the Guidance Counsellor is to support and promote students’ well-being and continuous growth in three areas:
- personal (student) development,
- Interpersonal development,
- career development
Skills and Qualifications: Your background and experience enables you to meet the following requirements:
- Helping students with transitions and academic programming.
- Providing one-on-one counselling to students for mental health and assist high school social counsellor in keep her up-to-date
- Supporting planning and academics (e.g. All About Me, IPPs, course selection with students, school applications)
- Collaborating with teachers, professionals, paraprofessionals (e.g. social counselor, educational psychologist, child and youth workers)
- Providing behavior-related interventions (e.g. classroom disruptions, bullying)
- Facilitating experiential learning opportunities (e.g. co-ops, internships, Dual Credits) (for secondary school only)
- Coordinating special education accommodations (for intermediate & secondary school only)
- Assist the principal in developing, coordinating, and implementing the school’s guidance and career education program
- Provide instruction in guidance and career education through credit courses
- Implement a process that will ensure that all students complete an annual education plan
- Maintain and establish links between elementary and secondary schools and with community partners to coordinate their involvement with the guidance and career education program
It is the responsibility of the Cooperative teacher to develop procedures which ensure that programs are conducted in accordance with Ontario Ministry of Education policy. The Teacher will:
- Prepare students for placements
- Arrange for interviews between employers and students
- Establish and maintain good relations with the employers
- Develop individual student Personalized Placement Learning Plans
- Monitor students on a regularly scheduled basis (biweekly)
- Assess student performance cooperatively with employers
- Complete student evaluation requirements
- Ensure that students are engaged in activities which provide relevant skills
- Deal promptly with any problems which may arise
- Ensure that the appropriate documentation is kept in each student’s file
- Maintain clear communication among employers, students, and school administrators
- Facilitate integration activities related to the workplace
- Able to teach DCO3O a grade 11 course
- Knowledge of relevant legislation/policies/procedures/guidelines/practices that address student care and safety
Job Type: Full time
How to Apply:
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications list on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- You must provide a minimum of 3 references one of them should be your most recent administrator’s, with permission to speak with them
- Please submit your application to the following email address email@example.com
Remember: This posting will remain open till we find a suitable candidate.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.