No: CUPE B-22-0089
POSTED: October 13, 2021
DEADLINE: 4:30 p.m. October 26, 2021
Indigenous Cultures and Traditions Instructors
Various Levels and Locations
$45.50 per hour (Plus 3.4% statutory holiday pay and 4% vacation pay)
(C.U.P.E. Local 4400, Unit B)
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices.
The Toronto District School Board invites applications for the position of First Nations, Métis and Inuit Culture(s) and Traditions Supply Instructor. The Supply instructor will report to the Centrally Assigned Principal of Indigenous Education, will be supervised locally by the school Principal, and will be supported by the Indigenous Education.
Summary of Duties:
- Instruct, evaluate and report on the progress of First Nation, Métis and Inuit learners.
- Provide a balanced program that explores Indigenous Cultures and Histories through Literature, Social Studies and the Arts.
- Foster respect for all people and all cultures.
- Provide culturally relevant instruction and culturally safe environments based on students’ strengths and needs.
- Mentor and work collaboratively with education partners to effectively adapt and support decolonizing and indigenizing classroom program and instruction for First Nations, Métis and Inuit Students.
- Liaise with local Indigenous community members and central support staff – Indigenous Education to promote infusion of cultural teachings and traditional skills in elementary school program.
- Record pupil attendance.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to read and write fluently in English.
- Ability to use the arts to promote student learning.
- Ability to manage lessons with classes containing students of several ability levels.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively adapt the curriculum around thematic units to accommodate and advance the skills of all students.
- Well-informed understanding of the histories of First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples in Canada.
- Commitment to work effectively as a part of a team.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to work in a multicultural, multiracial environment is an asset.
- Working knowledge or fluency in one or more Native languages is an asset.
- Knowledge of traditional and contemporary cultural traditions (e.g. drumming, dancing, beading, storytelling, traditional teachings, etc.)
- Ability to identify and access relevant resources as required to supplement program (e.g. books, music, Indigenous artists in community, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- The successful supply candidate will self-identify as an Indigenous person (including First Nations, Métis or Inuit), and will demonstrate a strong understanding of Indigenous cultures and traditions.
- Relevant teaching experience or appropriate related experience with Elementary school-age children.
- Teaching experience from other countries will be considered.
- Post-secondary degree from an accredited institution is an asset.
- Ontario Teaching Certification is an asset.
Program Period: September to June
Applicants should attach a cover letter and copy of their current resume. Résumés should indicate qualifications, ability and experience applicable to this position. You also have the option of completing a Google Form application. With this option you cannot attach a resume/cover letter to the Google Form. A separate application and/or resume must be submitted for each individual job posting. Your employee number must be included on each application (if applicable). Applications should be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. on October 26, 2021 to:
Toronto District School Board
Employee Services – Unit B
Attention: Staffing Officer
Please quote Competition #CUPE B-22-0089 when responding to this Job Posting. Place this number on the outside of the envelope and the cover letter:
Competition Number: CUPE B-22-0089
a) Applications should be submitted using only ONE of the following methods:
1. Email to email@example.com
2. Fax to (416) 620-8760 Only one application per fax submission. No batch submissions. Please retain a copy of the fax transmittal confirmation as proof of your submission
b) We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
c) Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.