International Languages – Elementary Instructor
Continuing Education Department
$41.33 per hour (Plus 3.4% statutory holiday pay and 4% vacation pay), 2.5hrs/week
The Toronto District School Board invites applications for the position of International Languages Elementary Instructor (Multiple Languages, including Spanish, Russian, Farsi, Greek, Cantonese, Romanian, Mandarin Simplified, Mandarin Traditional, Vietnamese, Amharic, Hebrew, Swedish, Telugu, Bosnian and American Sign Language). This position will report to the International Languages Elementary Program Officer and the Program Manager.
Summary of Duties:
- Instruct class according to daily lesson plan using appropriate and relevant resources and methods of delivery, in accordance with the Curriculum Guidelines and principles of cooperative learning;
- Develop goal-based short and long-term plans that reflect the ILE Curriculum Guidelines and students’ needs and learning styles.
- Develop student’s knowledge and skills in Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing in the target language inclusive of cultural components.
- Record and maintain accurate and up-to-date attendance registers; report on attendance as required;
- Conduct regular student assessments and evaluations in order to determine student progress; report as required;
- Provide a safe, nurturing, bias-free, positive and respectful learning environment that recognizes individual differences;
- Assist in registration process and fees collection.
- Initiate outreach and communication with the community.
- Call replacement instructor from Board approved Unit B Supply List to ensure class coverage as required when necessary.
- Be familiar with IL-E Instructor manual and update with current information as provided;
- Keep informed of current IL-E theory and practice, including materials supplied by Program Manager or designate;
- Operate in accordance with all TDSB policies, procedures and requirements (e.g. Human rights, Safe Schools, Health & Safety, Emergency etc);
- Ensure the classroom and equipment is tidy and secure at the close of class; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to read and write fluently in English and the language of instruction.
- Ability to use the arts to promote language learning.
- Ability to manage lessons with classes containing students of several ability levels.
- Commitment to work effectively as a part of a team.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to work in a multicultural, multiracial environment is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Relevant teaching experience or appropriate related experience with elementary school-age children.
- Teaching experience from other countries will be considered.
- Post-secondary degree from an accredited institution is an asset.
- Ontario Teaching Certification is an asset but not mandatory.
- September to June
- After-School, Evenings, Integrated (during the school day) and Saturdays
For more information about this job description or the ILE program please contact the International Languages Program Coordinator at email@example.com, please use Supply Instructor Information in the subject line of your email.
You can also visit our website for more information about our program, our school sites and the languages we offer at www.ILEprograms.ca.