Manager, PR & Communications
Find Your Spot at Humber
At Humber, our career paths open up a world of infinite possibilities for you to explore. People are at the heart of the Humber experience. Here, every day we work shoulder to shoulder to deliver excellence, and in doing so, we redefine what it means to be a leader in polytechnic education. Humber employees are a diverse group of committed, caring and fun-loving people.
We take finding and growing the right talent very seriously. We strive to find and nurture extraordinary employees who bring their best each day.
If you are interested in working in higher education and are looking to contribute to the largest polytechnic College in Ontario, as we shape the future of our students and communities, here is your opportunity to join our team.
Position Title: Manager, PR & Communications
Status: Full Time
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Faculty/Department: Communications, Government Relations & Marketing
Campus/Location: North Campus
Salary: $78,597 – $117,895
What you will do:
The PR and Communications Manager plans, implements and oversees strategic public relations and communications initiatives that enhance and build awareness of Humber’s position as a global leader in polytechnic education.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Communications, the PR and Communications Manager manages a team of support staff, interns and work study students. The PR and Communications Manager works to ensure that all communications materials and activities support the Humber brand and the college’s key strategic priorities. The Manager contributes to the development of the communications team’s annual business plans and shares accountability for its implementation. The Manager works with the Social Media Manager to ensure an integrated approach to internal and external communications. The Manager liaises with the College’s senior leadership team (i.e. Senior Deans and Directors), departmental, Faculty and student contacts to help ensure the communications team is supporting activities happening across Humber campuses, and telling the “news of the day” at Humber. The Manager oversees equity, diversity and inclusion-related communications for the college.
As a conduit between the Associate Director and the rest of the Government Relations, Marketing and Communications department, and a resource to the entire college, the PR and Communications Manager oversees and/or contributes to day-to-day operations including, but not limited to:
- Identification and development of proactive and reactive communications opportunities
- Media relations and spokesperson interview preparation
- Writing, editing and producing news stories for humber.ca, Humber Today and Humber’s print publications
- Development of content for humber.ca and other communications materials
- Internal communications including Communique and Employee News Network
- Creation and implementation of integrated communications plans
- Supporting communications for the Executive Team (e.g. speechwriting)
- Event management
- The Communications Manager is also part of the College’s extended emergency management response team and supports critical incident and crisis communications activities
What you bring to the role:
- Four-Year Degree in a field such as Journalism, Public Relations, Mass Communications, Media Communications, English or a communications-related field
- A PR or Communications credential in addition to a BA is an asset
- A minimum of seven years working as a communications/public relations/journalist/writer and editor/media relations practitioner in a fast-paced continuously changing environment in progressive positions, roles and responsibilities
- Superior writing and editing skills for print and web
- Exceptional interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Solid understanding of the Ontario and GTA media landscape; part of a network of media and communications professionals
- Experience in effectively managing, training and motivating a team
- Strong planning and project management skills; strong analytical mindset and conflict resolution skills; and the ability to prioritize and work on various projects simultaneously are essential
- Proven track record of supporting crisis communications responses
- Communications experience in the post-secondary sector or Public Relations/Communications agency preferred
What’s In it for you?
- An opportunity to have an impact with a post-secondary institution, poised to do great things.
- Diverse, hard-working, committed team of people who care about each other.
- Tools and technology that will allow you to succeed at your job.
- Work/Life balance with extended health and dental benefits, and above-average days off due to College closure schedules
- Amazing perks
- Highly supportive work culture
At Humber College we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it! Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and a progressive mindset goes a long way at Humber. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying and tell us why you are a great candidate for this job. Find your Spot at Humber!
We thank you for your interest in working with Humber College. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Consideration for Support Staff and Academic positions will be given to internal employees in accordance with the respective Collective Agreements.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Humber College is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek Indigenous Peoples and individuals from equity-deserving groups with demonstrated skills and knowledge to deal with all aspects of equity, diversity and inclusion in a post-secondary environment.
Humber College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Our HR Generalists will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate formats upon request.
At Humber College, all forms of discrimination and harassment are prohibited. Students and employees have the right to study, live and work in an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. If you need assistance on concerns related to discrimination and harassment, please contact the Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion http://hrs.humber.ca/human-rights-equity-diversity.html or the Office of Student Conduct at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Position Type: FT Administration
Minimum Salary: 78,597.00
Maximum Salary: 117,895.00
Work Locations: North Campus 205 Humber College Blvd. Etobicoke M9W 5L7
Job Family: Marketing and Communications
Deadline to Apply: 12/01/2021
Job Posting: 11/17/21