HALTON WOMEN’S PLACE
Position Type: Permanent Part Time Public Educator (School based)
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree in Education.
Wage: $24.52/hr., per collective agreement
Schedule: Part Time, 22.5 hours per week, requires evening and weekend hours as required to deliver community education sessions. Virtual and in person presentations.
To develop, co-ordinate and conduct activities and programs that will educate classroom based children and youth, the public, and community partners about woman abuse, and support the mission and objectives of Halton Women’s Place. The incumbent will be positive, innovative, self-motivated and dedicated to raising awareness around violence against women.
- Design and develop curriculum for the Public Education Program for Halton Women’s Place at the direction of the Supervisor, Public Education & Community Awareness.
- Co-ordinate and participate in classroom-based delivery of public education activities and including presentations, workshops and displays within the Region of Halton, and make appropriate referrals for requests beyond the mandate and scope of the Public Education Program
- Create relationships with the educational community and parents to enable the delivery of school-based programs
- Foster positive relationships with social service organizations, community service clubs and professional associations
- Update existing materials and obtain current resources in consultation with the Supervisor, Public Education & Community Awareness.
- Explore and implement various forms of free program promotion- i.e. marketing
- Respond to inquiries and provide needed resources to community members
- Provide program reports to the Manager, Development & Communications, outlining program activities, trends and gaps in service
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, Annual General Meeting, and internal/external committee meetings as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Education is an asset.
- Experience working in the field of women’s issues, social justice issues, a keen interest in ending violence against women and women’s issues.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, knowledge of public education methods and procedures, proven skills and experience in curriculum design, development, delivery and evaluation, varied learner developmental levels; workshop and session plan development and evaluation techniques are essential.
- Proven skills in facilitating workshops and education sessions with children and youth
- Youth advisory/leadership program development is a definite asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word for Windows, PowerPoint, Excel and other computer communication and design programs is a necessity.
- Proficiency using social media as a supplement to delivery of education
- A working knowledge of community service groups and organizations is preferred, and community and media relations knowledge is an asset.
- Additional qualifications include: an understanding of the dynamics and effects of abuse on women and children; experience working with adults as an educator and trainer, children and youth as an educator, and with the public; experience working in a fast-paced and changeable environment; excellent organizational and time management skills.
- The incumbent must be flexible to allow for some evening and weekend work.
- School presentations, currently, are organized through Google Meets. The incumbent is required to be comfortable presenting virtually and be efficient in the program of Google Meets but also other platforms such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc. for community presentations.
In the future, the position requires travel by car around the Region of Halton and occasionally, outside the Region. Own transportation is required.
The job requires the incumbent to be able to work both as a team member and independently and bring enthusiasm and energy to presentations. The incumbent must be flexible and able to work under a variety of deadlines. The incumbent will dress and represent Halton Women’s Place with professionalism.
Incumbents will also have to have the following:
- Current Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Two Step Tuberculosis Skin Test
- Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination
Please direct letters of application by 4:00 pm December 7, 2021 to:
Halton Women’s Place.
By Fax: 905-332-1155 or By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.