School Administrative Coordinator
Date Posted: 05/06/2021
Req ID: 3881
Department: ICS – M.A. Program
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
The Dr. Eric Jackman Institute of Child Study Laboratory School is a Nursery to 6th Grade School at the University of Toronto. Our mission is to provide excellence in elementary education, teacher education, and research in an intentionally diverse environment.
Jackman ICS provides an environment that fosters research and professional inquiry. The School makes a significant contribution to the education, human development, and applied psychology work within our University and in the wider educational community in Canada and internationally.
The Lab School also serves a role in preparing pre-service teachers for their professional life through its contributions to the Jackman ICS Master of Arts in Child Study and Education program, providing both practicum experience, mentoring and course instruction by our teaching staff.
The School Administrative Coordinator at the Dr. Eric Jackman Institute of Child Study Laboratory School is responsible for the health and safety needs of children ages 2-12; maintaining high public relations standards in a self-funded unit at the University of Toronto; responding to school enquiries within the defined scope of the role and redirecting as appropriate which includes answering questions regarding the admissions process; coordinating the recruitment process for the school; resolving issues within the scope of the role and escalating problems as required and handling sensitive and/or confidential information.
In addition, this position is responsible for: providing first aid to children who require it and document and maintain Accident/Incident Report file as necessary; recording student arrival-lates and absences and follow up with parents of absent children according to the procedures set out for the ‘Safe Arrivals Program’; screening visitors and providing security access into the school building; oversees the school “lock down” protocol; scheduling lice checks; scheduling parent-teacher interviews; creating and updating records; maintaining databases (applicants, current student, academic records, student emergency contact and health information, research consent forms, etc.); maintaining information on digital platforms; keeping well-informed on University, Ministry of Education, and Toronto Public Health programs, policies, and procedures; determining logistical details and activities for events and/or programming; handling tuition fees; and ordering supplies (including first aid).
The hours of work for this position are Monday to Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Responding to enquiries within the defined scope of the role and redirecting as appropriate
- Providing detailed information regarding admission requirements to prospective students and applicants
- Scheduling appointments
- Creating and updating records
- Maintaining a database
- Maintaining information on a website
- Determining logistical details and activities for events and/or programming
- Handling fees and/or fines on a regular basis
- Advanced College Diploma (3 years) or acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years of recent and related front-line academic administrative experience.
- Experience working with all levels, including adult students, elementary school aged children and their parents.
- Experience working as the first point of contact, fielding a high volume of internal and external inquiries via phone, email, in-person and providing detailed information on admissions and other related information.
- Experience scheduling interviews and checks.
- Experience updating and maintaining a website.
- Experience with maintaining multiple databases and creating and maintaining files.
- Experience handling tuition fees.
- Experience organizing the logistics of events and ordering catering and gifts.
- Experience working with committees, taking minutes and preparing written documents from minutes and/or notes.
- Demonstrated advanced skills in MS Office (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and data entry skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Professional demeanor with a strong customer service orientation and effective interpersonal skills to effectively deal with students at all levels, staff and faculty, as well as with the general public.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality. Ability to understand and interpret procedures and guidelines.
- Effective problem-solving skills and the ability to balance competing priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Must possess first aid certification.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, showing initiative and good judgment and also the ability to work cooperatively and be an effective team member.
- Bachelor’s Degree is an asset.
To be successful in this role you will be:
Notes: Hiring subject to criminal reference check.
Closing Date: 05/17/2021, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: USW Pay Band 10 — $61,846 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $79,088. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Administrative / Managerial