Competition Number: OSSTFA-21-0109E
POSTED: October 1, 2021
DEADLINE: 4:30 p.m., October 22, 2021
1.0 Temporary Assignment
Professional Support Services – LC1
This position will begin as soon as possible and end no later than July 6, 2022.
Cat. B: $69,403 – $100,670 per annum
(OSSTF – PSSP+, Unit A)
Work Year: 194 + 3 days
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices.
The Toronto District School Board invites applications for 1 temporary Social Worker position and in LC1 within Professional Support Services.
Reporting to the Manager of Social Work & Attendance Services, the Social Worker will work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team to provide social work services to TDSB students, families and schools.
The temporary Contract may be ended prior to its intended conclusion date for cause with no notice or for operational reasons subject to the provisions of Article C.1.4.1. Student Support Initiative funding in LC1 for the 2021-2022 school year.
Summary of Duties:
- Provide individual, family and group counselling;
- Provide crisis intervention/tragic response to students, families and school communities;
- Support and guide Board personnel on identifying and reporting child abuse incidents and provide support to the victims and offenders;
- Consult with school administrators, teachers, community agencies, parents and other TDSB staff regarding strategies and program support;
- Maintain confidential files and records in accordance with professional standards including preparation of reports;
- Develop, implement and provide effective professional learning in the areas of child abuse, behaviour management and social emotional issues;
- Develop working relationships with community agencies to co-ordinate the delivery of effective programs and connect parents with resources;
- Provide attendance counselling services for students, as required;
- Provide support to Special Education programs;
- Attend and participate in meetings as required;
- Remain current on relevant research, best practices, legislation and professional literature; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Manager of Social Work & Attendance Services.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work with three years post MSW Social Work experience, with children and youth, under the supervision of a Registered Social Worker;
- Membership in the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers;
- Demonstrated assessment and treatment skills to provide direct services to individual students, groups of students and their families;
- Demonstrated crisis intervention / tragic response and suicide intervention skills;
- Expertise and experience in identifying, reporting and supporting victims of child abuse/neglect;
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team environment;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in providing consultation to professional colleagues, teachers, administrators, and parents.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated creativity and flexibility.
- Knowledge of Child and Family Services Act, Education Act and Young Offenders Act and other pertinent legislation including provincial attendance policies;
- Knowledge of community services and resources;
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise working with a diverse and multicultural clientele;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; and
- Proficient computer skills and expertise in the use of technology, including Microsoft Office Software.
- Provision of own vehicle for Board Business; requires valid Ontario driver’s license.
- Requires regular travel across TDSB.
Travel: This position requires travel to various schools and use of car is required for which employees shall receive a monthly travel allowance in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
Shift: Regular Day
Hours of Work:
Full-time: 7.0 hours/day
Work Year – 194 plus 3 days
This position will be located within Professional Support Services at:
1 Civic Centre Court – LC1
(Student Support Initiative funding for 2021-2022 school year)
As a prospective employee of TDSB, you must be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment (subject to TDSB-approved exemptions) in accordance with the TDSB’s COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Procedure for Employees, Trustees and Other Individuals (PR734). This offer of employment is conditional upon you providing satisfactory proof of vaccination to TDSB prior to the commencement of your employment.
Applications should be submitted:
- In resume form with a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- with competition # OSSTFA-21-0109E in the subject line of the covering letter
- no later than 4:30 p.m. on October 22, 2021
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
Only applications selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants will not be acknowledged in writing.