TEACHER OF THE DEAF
1.0 Permanent Position
(Contracts rated under the Provincial Schools Authority)
Do you hold expertise, experience and interest in the education of students who are deaf? Consider bringing your professional expertise to the Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch. Currently the following exciting career opportunities are available at the Robarts School for the Deaf in London, which serves deaf students in a residential school setting.
NOTE: PDSB is currently inviting applications from OCT qualified teachers who are interested and willing to obtain the Deaf Specialist and ASL qualifications required for the position. Successful candidates may be employed under a Temporary Letter of approval.
- Competition #PDSB20-007 – Teacher of the Deaf – 1.0 Permanent Position available immediately.
- Valid Certificate of Registration and Qualifications from the Ontario College of Teachers;
- Deaf Specialist/Teaching Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing – Aural and Oral Communications Specialist and/or ASL/LSQ Communication Specialist (NOTE: PDSB will consider teacher candidates who are currently engaged in completing the requirements for the specialist qualification and/or who express a willingness to obtain);
- Primary/Junior/Intermediate and/or Senior division qualifications required;
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL) (NOTE: PDSB will consider teacher candidates who express a willingness to obtain ASL language fluency).
- Ability to use ASL as a language of instruction;
- Ability to apply an in depth knowledge of bilingual-biliteracy-bicultural education for Deaf students;
- Ability to teach Deaf/hard of hearing students in academic programs and programs for students with multiple exceptionalities;
- Ability to develop lesson plans, make accommodations and modifications as needed;
- Ability to develop IEP goals from assessment data;
- Ability to effectively manage a classroom and students using a variety of classroom management techniques;
- Ability to write and present educational materials using excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team and to work with students with multi-exceptionalities;
- Ability to assess students’ knowledge and skills, and to apply the assessment data to instructional next steps.
- Ability to deliver curriculum expectations, including accommodations and/or modifications to assist students’ learning and to conduct student assessments.
LOCATION: 1515 Cheapside Street, London, Ontario, N5V 3N9
Please submit a cover letter, your resume outlining qualifications, experience and an up to date copy of your Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Registration and Qualification. Your cover letter must clearly identify the competition number you are applying to (PDSB20-007) and received by no later than 11:59pm on January 28, 2020.
Please submit your application to the following email address: PSBjobs@ontario.ca
APPLICATIONS SHALL BE CONSIDERED FROM PERMANENT MEMBERS OF THE PROVINCIAL SCHOOLS AUTHORITY TEACHERS (PSAT) PRIOR TO CONSIDERING EXTERNAL CANDIDATES.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Late applications will be declined.
NOTE: The successful candidate(s) will be required to provide an original, satisfactory Criminal Reference Check, including Vulnerable Sector Screening (dated within the last six months) as deemed suitable by the Employer, prior to the commencement of employment.
Posting Date: January 20, 2020
Closing Date: January 28, 2020
THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO FOSTERING AND MAINTAINING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT PROMOTES RESPECT FOR OTHERS, OPEN COMMUNICATION, TEAMWORK AND ACCOUNTABILITY