- Toronto District School Board
- Posting Date
- June 16, 2017
- Closing Date
June 26, 2017
Competition #: SCH II-16-0508NTE
POSTED: June 16, 2017
DEADLINE: 12:00 Noon, June 26, 2017
Assistant Design Coordinator, Mechanical
1 – Term Position
Building Automation Systems
Design, Construction & Maintenance
Schedule II, Level 7
(Non-Union – 12 Month)
$78,747 to $94,485
(It is anticipated that this Term assignment will end on June 30, 2018)
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices.
Reporting to the designated Coordinator(s), the Assistant Design Coordinator, Mechanical will:
- Assist the designated Coordinator in the design, coordination and production of technical documentation for construction of maintenance and other building projects;
- Liase with various public organizations or agencies concerning schools; and
- Act as a resource to schools and other Board facilities.
Summary of Duties:
- Provide assistance to the designated Coordinator(s) in the design, coordination and production of technical information for renewal projects (e.g. Building Automation Systems) and other building projects ;
- Work with outside consultants;
- Prepare sketch plans for discussion with the client;
- Coordinate designs with the other major disciplines (e.g. Electrical , Architectural and Civil);
- Coordinate the designs of outside consultants and meet on a regular basis to ensure their design development is on budget and on time;
- Conduct detailed investigations and analysis of requirements;
- Provide detailed engineering and design principles and techniques as required;
- Meet with stakeholders to review the program, address their needs and provide professional advice;
- Ensure that design development will meet approved budgets and schedules;
- Conduct regular reviews with consultants and contractors;
- Meet with construction supervisors to review and resolve problems;
- Review in-house production documentation to ensure that design intent has been maintained;
- Coordinate design documentation for required approvals with consultants as necessary;
- Correspond or meet with authorities having jurisdiction regarding Building Code and other requirements;
- Prepare preliminary draft reports for review;
- Assist with energy performance evaluations and equipment condition surveys;
- Provide leadership in fostering equity and inclusiveness in the development and implementation of programs and services; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- University degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering with five years of progressively responsible related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Membership in the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario; or Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technician or Technologist;
- Experience monitoring and coordinating the work of outside consultants;
- Ability to design building systems to meet program needs;
- Familiarity with the Ontario Building code, Electrical and Mechanical Safety Codes;
- Understanding of BAS technology, building components and construction;
- Ability to coordinate the work of other disciplines (e.g. Electrical, Architectural and Structural);
- Proficient computer skills including spreadsheets, databases, word processing, presentation packages and email;
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with staff, stakeholders, outside contractors, suppliers, etc.;
- Proven ability in promoting equitable practices which value inclusiveness and diversity; and
- Strong time management, organizational and problem solving skills.
- Provision of own vehicle for Board business.
- Requires travel to TDSB sites on a regular basis.
- Requires wearing safety equipment (e.g. safety shoes, hard hats) when visiting construction sites.
Location: This position is currently located at 15 Oakburn Crescent, (not wheelchair accessible).
Work Year: 12 month
- It is anticipated that interviews will take place within two weeks after the closing date of this competition.
- It is anticipated that the successful applicant will commence as soon as possible and practical.
Applications must be submitted:
- in resume form with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- with competition # SCH II-16-0508NTE in the subject line of the covering letter.
- no later than 12:00 Noon, June 26, 2017.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance, during the application process.