- University of Toronto
- Posting Date
- July 17, 2017
- Closing Date
July 30, 2017
Job Number: 1701287
Faculty / Division: University of Toronto Scarborough
Department: UTSC: Community Police
What it means to be a Member of the University of Toronto Campus Police: The University of Toronto Campus Community Police Service is a special constable service operating under agreement with Toronto Police Service and Peel Regional Police Services. We are committed to delivering policing and security services that are sensitive to the needs of our community, through collaborative partnerships and teamwork. We are seeking talented individuals who can meet the challenges of community-based policing in Canada’s most diverse university environment and who represent its population.
The University of Toronto, Scarborough Campus Community Police Services is looking for a Corporal to lead and direct a team of constables who provide campus safety, security, emergency response, enforcement of University rules and regulations and limited law enforcement services to the University community. Under the general direction of the Staff Sergeant, the successful candidate will conduct the following duties and services:
- Leads work teams.
- Directs, coaches and counsels the workforce
- directs and instructs constables and other staff on proper procedures;
- receives instructions and interprets and relays them to the constables;
- allocates work assignments, reports the attendance of the shift or any significant issues/incidents that arise
- assists constables in preparing reports and ensures they are submitted according to procedure and on time;
- assists the Staff Sergeants in the training of constables;
- performs traffic and crowd control duties;
- investigates more serious and complex security problems on University of Toronto property;
- fills out reports and informs supervisors of action taken; reviews and updates files and records;
- promotes, conducts and/or participates in community policing programs; crime prevention programs and/or personal safety programs
- provides security for visiting dignitaries;
- performs the duties of a Constable; and
- other related duties as required.
You are a high school graduate who has also successfully graduated from an accredited college or university, or has the equivalent combination of education and experience. If you do not possess a recognized community college diploma or university degree, consideration may be given to three (3) years of related experience in policing, loss prevention or physical security, and demonstrated satisfactory knowledge of the laws of Canada and the Province of Ontario.
Three (3) years of law enforcement experience.
Must possess a non-probationary, valid Ontario Class G driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record and a valid Standard First-Aid and Level “C” CPR Certificate. You must demonstrate excellent leadership and communication skills and have the ability to deal tactfully and effectively with all members of the University community.
You must have no criminal convictions without pardon and be able to qualify for, be appointed to and maintain special constable status through background checks conducted by the Toronto Police Services Board and receive clearance from the Ontario Provincial Police, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and/or other jurisdictional authorities for access to CPIC and other restricted databases.
Note: These clearances are a condition of employment and must be maintained.
Must be able to pass the physical fitness testing, interviews, written tests, medical examination and psychological testing.
Notes: Hours of Work: Full-time, average 40 hours per week, 12-hour shifts in a 24/7 operation.
Union: This position is part of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union, Local 519
Employee Group: Other Employee Group
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group and Hiring Rate: Not Applicable to this Requisition
Job Field: Safety & Security
Job Posting: Jul 17, 2017
Job Closing: Jul 30, 2017, 11:59:00 PM