- Appleby College
- Posting Date
- January 11, 2017
- Closing Date
January 16, 2017
Appleby College Camps Programs has the following opportunity available:
Head Instructor, Arts & Media
Full-time hours between July 4, 2017 – September 1, 2017
Camps at Appleby College provide co-educational opportunities to develop and advance skills, and to promote interactive skills among participants. Appleby provides excellence within each camp through the use of superb facilities and instruction. In all our programs, we emphasize individual development, participation, co-operation and fun! Appleby’s scenic 60-acre campus offers outstanding academic, art and athletics for all its Camps.
Appleby College offers Early Discovery Camps, Arts & Media Camps, Science & Success Camps, Sports & Adventure Camps as well as Leadership Camps. For a listing of all Arts camp programs offered, please visit: Appleby College’s Arts Camp Programs
Appleby College Camp Programs have recently been accredited by the Ontario Camps Association (OCA). As a member, we must adhere to the highest standards of safety, supervision and quality programming.
As the Head Instructor you will be responsible for providing the lead instruction in the program, as well as overseeing the work of other Instructors in order to ensure a safe, productive and enjoyable experience for all campers.
- Develop, plan and supervise respective summer camp program
- Create activities that are welcoming to join/observe aspects of camp (for shy or timid campers)
- Lead specialized activities with Instructors and campers
- Generate schedules for activities that allow for the highest quality experience, and ensures flexibility to coordinate with other programs
- Ensure lunches run smoothly: planning and execution of activities/shows during lunch periods
- Actively follows all program procedures and policies, including Appleby’s Mutual Respect policy & Appleby Summer Programs safety policies, to ensure the safety, well-being and supervision of all campers, staff and visitors
- Provides leadership to Instructors, as well as maintains a positive working relationship with all other staff members
- Provides progress reports, suggestions for improvement, and voices concerns to the Director, Camp Programs
- Exhibits high level of professionalism and public relations, with an extremely courteous approach to participants, parents, staff, visitors and parents
- Ensure all facilities, equipment and programs are managed in accordance with the practices of Appleby College
- Ensure safe drop-off and pick-up for all respective program campers, maintaining presence at these points; circulating, helping and answering questions
Knowledge and Skills:
- Post-secondary education or a minimum completion of 2nd year
- Proven excellence in instructional abilities in program area (Discovery, Arts & Media, Sports, Science) ensuring appropriate balance of “fun”damentals vs education/skill development.
- Proven abilities in leading a team of instructors. Completion of a leadership program is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Team oriented, motivational and creative
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Demonstrates effective problem solving skills
- Standard First Aid and CPR – C or higher required
- Bronze Cross and/or NLS certification in lifeguarding is an asset
- Successful candidates must attend the required training sessions from June 2, 2017 – June 4, 2017
- As a condition of employment, a criminal record check with a vulnerable sector screening is required
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR – C (certified on, or after Sept. 2015) is required
Appleby College Camps and Academies provide the highest quality of instruction to campers in a fast paced and challenging work environment. Compensation is dependent on experience and qualifications.
While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Please apply online by Monday, January 16, 2016 to:
Human Resources, Appleby College through our website: www.appleby.on.ca
Appleby is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment where everyone feels valued, respected and supported. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.