Who We Are
The Ontario SPCA and Humane Society is a registered charity and has been operating for nearly 150 years. The Society provides care, comfort and compassion to animals in need in communities across Ontario; we value all animals and advocate to treat them with respect and kindness. We strive to keep pets and families together and do so through a variety of community support services.
Position: The Ontario SPCA and Humane Society is seeking a highly motivated and skilled educator to support the delivery of our AnimalSmart™ Humane Education programming. Reporting to the Humane Education Manager, Community Outreach Services, the Humane Education Coordinator, Community Outreach Services actively supports the training, scheduling, and resources creation to ensure successful program delivery to foster compassion and respect for animals through humane education.
Status: Full Time
Location: Based out of our Provincial Office in Stouffville, Ontario with opportunity for remote work. Expected travel throughout York Region and surrounding regions.
Essential Duties Snapshot
Program Planning and Administration
• Learn and become proficient with the established content of the Humane Education
curriculum and resources.
• Training, scheduling and support of AnimalSmart volunteers for weekly school
• Support AnimalSmart Team with any challenges or last minute changes.
• Build relationships with the volunteers Teaching Team.
• Adapt or edit as necessary, resource material and training program for
• Prepare education resource material to support the delivery of the humane education
• Fulfill administrative tasks as necessary. These include, but are not limited to:
correspondence with teachers, volunteers, the creation of promotional materials, printing
and laminating resources, and purchasing supplies (with specified budget).
• Facilitate bookings, create schedules, ensure required statistics and reports are completed.
• In- class presentations as needed to support volunteer training and program delivery
- Deliver and manage volunteer feedback.
• Follow up on Teacher feedback.
• Reach out to schools and school Boards for presentation bookings.
• Be a positive advocate of Ontario SPCA and Humane Society in interactions with teachers and
volunteers on a daily basis.
• Report to Humane Education Manager and work collaboratively to support programing and
• Maintain a professional appearance and friendly demeanor at all times.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
• Able to work on weekdays, evenings and some weekend hours to facilitate volunteer support
• Occasional overnight travel required.
Why You Should Join Our Team?
· Be part of an energetic team environment with others who share your passion for animal wellbeing!
· Competitive compensation package including medical, dental and vision benefits
· Work Location – York
· Employee Family Assistance Program
· Paid sick time
· 3 weeks of vacation after 3 years of service
· Predictable day time hours
· Flex-time work opportunities
· Onsite parking
Do You Have What it Takes?
· University degree and additional post-secondary degree in education or related discipline
· Knowledgeable on the care of all types of pets; animal welfare issues and passionate about the welfare
· Understanding of and alignment with the Mission, Vision and Goals of the Ontario SPCA and Humane
· Post-secondary diploma in related discipline or equivalent work experience.
· Minimum of 3yrs experience in education or related field.
· Comfortable and effective skills in public speaking and in animated delivery of presentations.
· Familiar with effective strategies to maintain classroom management of large groups of children
· At least 1 year of experience working with children.
· Excellent interpersonal skills to meet/interact with new people daily (i.e. school staff).
· Experience using Google Classroom
· Proficient in full Microsoft Office Suite including PowerPoint, Excel and Publisher.
· Current police vulnerable sector check.
· Valid Ontario Driver’s License with access to a vehicle and availability to travel
We Can’t Wait to Meet You!
Please forward your resume and cover letter to:
Humane Education Manager, Community Outreach Services
Ontario SPCA and Humane Society
Please quote “Humane Ed” in the subject line.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest in the Ontario SPCA and Humane Society, however; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario SPCA and Humane Society provides accommodation during all stages of the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please advise us if you are contacted for an interview and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at 888-668-7722 or email@example.com .
Please note that the Ontario SPCA and Humane Society has a Covid-19 vaccination policy in place for all employees and provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment. Valid medical accommodation will be taken into consideration on an individual basis.