Apply By: Friday, April 7, 2023 11:59 pm EDT
Food Services Helper
Organization: Ministry of Education
Division: Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch
Job Term: 1 Temporary – Seasonal position (September to June recurring)
Job Code: 50230 - Helper Food Service
Salary: $22.66 - $24.37 Per Hour*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Posting Status: Open
Job ID: 196630
The Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch Milton Campus (Ernest C. Drury School for the Deaf and Trillium Demonstration School) operates school/student lodging programs with the tradition and reputation for meeting the academic, personal, social, emotional and developmental needs of the individual children. Are you looking for an opportunity to grow professionally? If so, consider this opportunity, where you will enjoy varied work and challenging responsibilities.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the "How to apply" section if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
· Assist in the preparation of food.
· Serve prepared meals.
· Maintain cleanliness of food services area, equipment/utensils.
· Ensure that food services equipment and supplies are used and stored in a safe and efficient manner.
· Perform other duties related to the operation of a large school cafeteria.
How do I qualify?
Skills and Qualifications:
· Demonstrated experience working in a large volume food services environment.
· Experience operating commercial /institutional food preparation equipment.
· Knowledge of food handling/preparation techniques and sanitation standards.
· Knowledge of basic food preparation including the ability to prepare simples meals, soups, salads, sandwiches, etc.
· Knowledge of good hygiene and health and safety regulations.
· Completed Food Handlers Certificate or willingness to obtain.
· Ability to work shifts and perform physical work.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
· Excellent communication skills, including the ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
· Ability to communicate in American Sign language (ASL) or willingness to learn.
· Ability to work independently and as a team member.
· 1 Temporary - Seasonal, duration up to 10 months, 255 Ontario St S, Milton, Central Region, Vulnerable Sector Check
Compensation Group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Category: Health and Social Services
Posted on: Friday, March 10, 2023
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Corporate Talent Programs Branch, Talent and Leadership Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
1. You must submit your application using only one of the methods identified below.
2. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
3. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
4. Be sure to quote the Job ID number for this position.
5. OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
Send application to: firstname.lastname@example.org and quote Competition# (PDSB23-058)
Collection of Information
Your personal information is being collected and will be used to determine your qualifications for employment with the Ontario Public Service, and for recruitment modernization initiatives. OPS Careers is an authorized common service in accordance with s. 6 of the Ministry of Government Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.25 and this collection of personal information is necessary to the proper administration of OPS Careers.
Please do not provide more personal information than what is asked of you. For example, do not include your social insurance number, photograph, or banking information, etc. with your application. We strongly encourage you not to provide us with information beyond that which is requested in the job posting.
If you have any questions about the collection, use, disclosure, or retention of your personal information, please contact us.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Friday, April 7, 2023 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario's Human Rights Code.