Renowned for its expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, BSS offers a single-gender environment that helps girls achieve their best, both academically and in their life’s pursuits. Continually reaching forward, renewing itself and keeping time with the fast-paced changes and increasing demands of the complicated world its graduates will face, BSS knows girls can do anything and strives to give them the 21st century tools and resources, including a spectacular new arts and science wing, to achieve whatever dreams they conceive.
Our teachers provide a rigorous curricular experience that embraces inquiry-based instructional strategies. We are seeking highly collaborative teachers who are passionate about their subject area and who actively seek the opportunity for interdisciplinary and real-world connections and who are innovative not only in the use of technology but in the ways that they engage students in learning. Experienced educators who have been actively engaged in ongoing professional learning and are excited about making a difference in the lives of young women are encouraged to apply for the following position commencing the 2022-23 academic year:
Vice Principal, Student Success
Reports to: Principal, Senior School
Head of Student Services
Wellness Centre Nurses
Academic Data and Scheduling Assistant
Receptionist and Administrative Assistant (Attendance)
Director of Summer Academy
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Principal, Senior School, and as part of the Senior School Leadership Team, the Vice Principal (VP) Student Success has overall responsibility for developing and leading the effective and responsive systems that ensure a seamless school experience for students. This includes leadership of academic and wellness through Student Services, scheduling, faculty course allocations, student reporting, student success, attendance, academic data management, and the effective use of academic learning environments (physical space).
The VP Student Success models collaborative instructional leadership and liaises with the VP Student Life and Belonging, the Dean of Teaching and Learning, Student Services and the Database Team managing the student academic record and reporting systems. The VP also liaises with the Senior School Attendance Administrative Specialist and the Academic Data and Scheduling Assistant.
A contributing member of the Senior School Leadership Team working to implement the school’s strategic vision and the Senior School’s goals and operation. This role is expected to streamline and improve processes.
- Collaborates with the VP Student Life and Belonging and Student Life Team to construct the Community Time Program that supports an inclusive community and student wellbeing.
- Explores strategic and purposeful Senior School specific academic data collection, analysis and trends.
- Ensures systems and supports that ensure students have an exceptional and successful Senior School experience.
- Constructs faculty course allocations and timetables that reflect best learning and growth opportunities for students and optimizes the human resource potential of our faculty.
- Works with Junior and Middle school Vice Principals and external scheduling consultant to ensure a research-informed, optimal daily schedule across the three divisions.
- Anticipates, plans and implements effective and creative use of academic learning environments, incorporates curricular connections with needs, and includes appropriate furniture and physical resources for inspired learning and growth.
- Leads the school preparation for biannual inspections from the Ontario Ministry of Education.
- Implements effective, cohesive and clear processes for student reporting (Ministry designated assessment and evaluation).
- Consults relevant stakeholders to develop and communicate the Final Evaluation schedule.
- Leads the Administrative Specialist, Academic Data and Scheduling to construct the school calendar.
- Leads the administration of the Ontario Literacy Test and reviews achievement data with relevant stakeholders.
- Generates relevant and high quality student and parent communications.
- Leads development of a parent education speaker series, collaborating with Student Services, Advancement and the other divisions.
- Leads the data informed review of course offerings in the Course of Study, which includes research and gathering information from students, faculty, Student Services and other relevant stakeholders.
- Leads Student Services in school closing activities, including student prizes, Final Chapel and Graduation.
- Collaborates with the Director of Inclusive Excellence to nurture diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in all aspects of school life.
- Works with Wellness nurses on relevant school health matters.
Student Support and Success
- Serves as a champion for the social, mental, and emotional wellbeing of all students across the school program and that each student is known, understood, and feels a deep sense of belonging and safety.
- Collaborates with the Head of Student Services, and the Wellness Centre to coordinate individual student action plans developed from Students of Consideration which may include:
- monitoring credit accumulation for students at risk
- developing and monitoring Academic Success Plan documentation and confidential storage of data
- meeting with students, parents/guardians and counsellors to implement and monitor student progress
- Leads best practices in SS attendance management.
- Leads the Academic Action process for intervention, support and documentation of students at risk due to extended absence, illness, etc.
- Leads the regular/annual review of student achievement data with Student Services and Dean of Teaching and Learning, to inform program offerings and other interventions.
- Implements a Senior School practice to develop and review Learner Portrait/Profile data that documents students’ experiences and needs, with access to relevant faculty and staff.
- Collaborates with Student Recruiting to create, monitor and execute successful transition events for new students and families into the Senior School.
- Commitment to and support of Boarding Life program and students.
- Advises faculty as part of the school’s Faculty Growth Process which includes:
- Goal setting with faculty members
- Visiting classes and providing timely feedback on teaching and learning
- Sharing relevant resources and/or offering direction to assist faculty members to achieve their goals
- Reviewing the achievement of growth goals with faculty members
- Models collaborative instructional leadership that builds capacity to strengthen and enhance teaching and learning through:
- Participating in a climate of high expectations and trust
- Being a visible presence in the school and modeling the desired values of the school’s culture
- Encouraging and supporting inquiry, innovation, and reflective practice to promote student learning
- Working with teachers to define educational objectives, to insist upon instructional quality as a top priority as defined by our vision, and to problem-solve on curricular and pedagogical issues
- Values and engages in ongoing professional learning.
- Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging values into all activities.
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process.
- Oversees the work of direct reports.
- Other related responsibilities as assigned.
Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- An experienced educator with the equivalent of a Master’s degree in Education and several years’ experience including a proven record of outstanding achievement as a classroom teacher, department head, coordinator and/or a Dean of Studies/Curriculum.
- Commitment to academic excellence within a creative, innovative environment.
- A deep understanding of the processes of teaching and learning within the framework of research based educational practices and technologies, and the ability to inspire faculty with a vision of curriculum of the future that is global in scope and ethical in outlook.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to education that supports the Culture of Powerful Learning and the Signature of a BSS Girl.
- A deep appreciation for and understanding of the use of data as a tool for school improvement.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to School pedagogy, in particular those models related to inquiry.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to contemporary curriculum research and practices as well as academic research and its application to our learning environment and experiences.
- A highly engaging and visible style in dealing with students and parents to ensure outstanding rapport with the community.
- Evidence of past success in team building and the development of positive and collaborative working relationships.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to encourage others to develop their own capabilities in these areas.
- A creative risk taker who can lead curricular change.
- Use of technology as a means to collect and use school data.
- Demonstrated commitment to girls’ education and an appreciation for and understanding of the developmental needs of girls.
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, multi-task and problem-solve in a fast-paced environment – the ability to successfully juggle a number of balls at the same time – with enthusiasm.
- Energy and a sense of humour.
- Thorough understanding of, passion for and a desire to work enthusiastically in pursuit of our vision.
We offer a competitive compensation package and are members of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
Interested applicants should forward cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to email@example.com indicating VP, Student Success in the subject line.
The Bishop Strachan School has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees and students, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school
and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca