Apply By: Friday, November 3, 2023 11:59 pm EDT
Organization: Ministry of Education
Division: Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch
Language of Position(s): English
Job Term: 1 Temporary Irregularly scheduled/on-call supply position (to work on an as needed basis)
Job Code: 50486 - Instructor 2 Recreat & Crafts
Salary: $26.55 - $29.21 Per Hour*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Posting Status: Open
Job ID: 205673
The Ministry of Education, Ernest C. Drury School for the Deaf and Trillium Demonstration School requires experienced aquatic individuals to participate in the growth and development of students who are Deaf, hard of hearing and/or have severe learning disabilities, through an aquatics program.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the "How to apply" section if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role you will:
How do I qualify?
· National Lifeguard Society of Canada Lifeguard Certificate
· Current certification in First Aid and CPR
· Courses in Non Violent Crisis Intervention or equivalent.
Skills and Qualifications:
· Your background and experience enable you to meet the following requirements:
· Demonstrated experience working with students who are Deaf/hard of hearing and/or have severe learning disabilities;
· Demonstrated ability to facilitate effective aquatic programs to meet the needs of students;
· Knowledge of the Ontario Public Pools regulations and relevant legislation and Provincial and Demonstration Schools policies and procedures, guidelines and practices;
· Good judgement and problem solving skills;
· Ability to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team;
· Ability to lift up to 25 pounds to assist with student transfers.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to communicate effectively with students, parents, staff and other professionals.
· Proficiency in English and American Sign Language (ASL) (or willingness to obtain).
· 1 English Temporary - Irregular On-Call, duration up to 10 months, 255 Ontario St S, Milton, Central Region, Vulnerable Sector Check
Compensation Group: Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Category: Health and Social Services
Posted on: Friday, October 6, 2023
· In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Corporate Talent Programs Branch, Talent and Leadership Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
1. You must submit your application using only one of the methods identified below.
2. Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
3. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
4. Be sure to quote the Job ID number for this position.
5. OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
Send application to: PSBjobs@ontario.ca and quote Competition Number PDSB23-189
Collection of Information
Your personal information is being collected and will be used to determine your qualifications for employment with the Ontario Public Service, and for recruitment modernization initiatives. OPS Careers is an authorized common service in accordance with s. 6 of the Ministry of Government Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.25 and this collection of personal information is necessary to the proper administration of OPS Careers.
Please do not provide more personal information than what is asked of you. For example, do not include your social insurance number, photograph, or banking information, etc. with your application. We strongly encourage you not to provide us with information beyond that which is requested in the job posting.
If you have any questions about the collection, use, disclosure, or retention of your personal information, please contact us.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Friday, November 3, 2023 11:59 pm EDT.
Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario's Human Rights Code .