The Student Services department’s role in student success is to create a culture and environment that unleashes the full potential of all the students at SAIT. Our primary goal is to support Student-First Culture, by focusing on student success and mobilizing all campus community members in this shared goal.
The Learning Strategist – Apprentice Supports develops and presents course or program specific workshops on a variety of topics, such as reading strategies, managing time, improving memory, preparing for and taking exams. The learning strategist must work with instructors and academic chairs to determine apprentice learning needs in order to devise course and program specific workshops. The learning strategist meets with apprentices individually to instruct them on active learning strategies, working in groups, and promoting self-advocacy skills.
The Learning Strategist must tailor the information to the needs and learning style of the apprentice as it can significantly influence attitudes towards learning, studying and success at SAIT. The learning strategist also provides outreach to apprentices in academic difficulty. Relationship building is essential in this role in understanding the specific needs of programs, Academic Chairs and apprentices in the learning life cycle.
- Develop and facilitate various offerings on active learning strategies:
- Facilitate courses and workshops with the appropriate resources for active learning strategies
- Collaborate with instructors and academic chairs to develop tailored workshops for students
- Provide recommendations for appropriate learning strategies to apprentices as a subject matter expert
- Ongoing assessment on programming and efforts toward enhanced learning
Guidance and coaching for apprentices: Provide tailored guidance for learning strategies to apprentices in one-on-one sessions as required Communicate and promote various learning services to apprentices as required Collaborate with other SAIT schools and departments to make referrals and recommendations regarding barriers to academic success Liaise with Academic Chairs, academic advisors and other SAIT staff in building rapport, increasing usage of services (ongoing travel to and from satellite campuses required) and assessing strategy programming
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Psychology, or Adult Learning 2+ years experience in a post-secondary setting with extensive knowledge of learning strategy
- Must have a vehicle and valid Driver's License
- Prior teaching experience, with preference for experience in a post-secondary environment considered an asset
- Knowledge of learning theory, coaching skills; adaptive technology, psychoeducational assessment considered an asset
Additional skills:Strong communication as a key contact for apprentices and faculty Ability to build and cultivate strong internal and external relationships Ability to work independently and in a team environment Ability to use independent judgement to make referrals and recommendations based on apprentice needsAbility to use assessment tools for evaluation of services and programming
Job classification: STUDENT SERVICES ADVISOR - A5009
Salary range: $63,656.45 - $76,097.45
# of positions: 1
Hours Per Week: 36.25
Position End Date: August 31, 2024
Posting closing date: November 1, 2023
SAIT is a global leader in applied education. Named one of Alberta’s Top Employers, we offer the chance to work with a purpose — preparing the next generation of industry leaders, entrepreneurs, advocates and explorers.
Building on our 100+ year history, we’re looking for innovative, bold and collaborative employees who embrace change and deliver world-class customer experiences. Your future starts now at SAIT.
Equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) is essential to achieving SAIT’s vision to be a global leader in applied education. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Learn more about EDI at SAIT.
SAIT is committed to supporting persons with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with applicants to provide accommodations upon request to the Talent Advisor.
BEWARE FALSE POSTINGS AND RECRUITING OFFERS