The School of Health and Public Safety at SAIT prepares students for a dynamic career in the health care sector. We offer specialized training in diagnostic and therapeutic technologies, professional assistant programs, information management, and training for wellness professionals. Our programs are hands on, with students and instructors immersed in living classrooms and simulated training.
The School of Health and Public Safety at SAIT prepares students for the work demands of the healthcare sector across Alberta, Canada and abroad. We offer specialized training in diagnostic and therapeutic technologies, professional assistant programs, information management and training for wellness professionals. Our instructors and staff are a dynamic and motivated team of professionals committed to the success of our students and the promise of an industry-ready education.
The Vision Care Sciences portfolio within the School of Health & Public Safety has a need for an energetic and resourceful individual with great organizational skills to provide clinical instruction in the Optician Diploma
- Prepare and deliver lectures and labs to students enrolled in the Optician Diploma program
- Maintain and update curriculum and course outlines as required
- Prepare lists of lab supplies required for the Educational Technologist
- Evaluate student progress through assignments, exams and lab competencies
- Facilitate student achievement and professionalism through mentorship and coaching
- Provide feedback for continuous program improvement
- Be an active and engaged member of the School to maintain a “team environment”
- Participate in all SAIT training, School and program meetings.
- Promote and support SAIT and the School of Health and Public Safety's mission, strategic and academic plans.
- Remain current and maintain contact with industry sectors to assure technology is relevant
- All other duties as required for the position
Qualifications & Experience
- Must be:
- A Licensed Optician (LO) in the province of Alberta
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Word and PowerPoint
- Proficient with technology to facilitate delivery of classroom and lab content through the Learning Management System (Brightspace)
- Minimum of five years of progressive and diverse hands-on clinical experience in the optical industry, particularly in optical dispensing
- Previous academic background (including teaching experience) is an asset as are additional educational qualifications
- Refraction experience and contact lens experience are assets
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to thrive in a team environment are required
- Involvement in scholarly activity/research is an asset
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- A high degree of flexibility and adaptability to unexpected and changing conditions
- Comfortable speaking in public
- Positive & respectful attitude
Job classification: INSTRUCTOR - S4001
Hourly range: $37.43 - $40.48
# of positions: 5
Position End Date: 05/01/2024
Posting closing date: Until position is filled
SAIT is a global leader in applied education. Named one of Alberta’s Top Employers, we offer the chance to work with a purpose — preparing the next generation of industry leaders, entrepreneurs, advocates and explorers.
Building on our 100+ year history, we’re looking for innovative, bold and collaborative employees who embrace change and deliver world-class customer experiences. Your future starts now at SAIT.
Equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) is essential to achieving SAIT’s vision to be a global leader in applied education. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Learn more about EDI at SAIT.
SAIT is committed to supporting persons with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with applicants to provide accommodations upon request to the Talent Advisor.
BEWARE FALSE POSTINGS AND RECRUITING OFFERS