The Clinical Extern is an integral member of the healthcare team working in the capacity of an unregulated care provider, in the inpatient and outpatient care units at MGH. Clinical Externs will have the opportunity to develop their nursing knowledge and skills while providing direct and indirect patient care in a mentored and supportive team environment. As part of the interprofessional healthcare team, the Clinical Extern will support high quality care for patients and families, while demonstrating a commitment to excellence in supporting the patient and family experience.
Clinical Externs’ unit preferences are taken into consideration during the application process, however, they are not guaranteed. Ultimately, the Clinical Extern role will be coordinated centrally but dedicated to specific units to support a consistent work environment and promote optimal integration into the clinical team. Clinical Externs will work under the direct/indirect supervision of an Extern Coordinator.
Externs will be hired on contract, during which the Extern will work a minimum of 2 shifts per 2-week pay period, 1 mandatory weekend and 1 mandatory night shift per month. Externs have the opportunity to work up to a maximum of full-time hours (37.5 hours per week). The scheduling of these hours will be determined based on unit needs and may include day/evening/night and weekend shifts.
Clinical Externs are involved in providing direct care to patients and some responsibilities may include (but are not limited to):
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other relevant legislation
- Knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System
- Knowledge of Emergency Codes
- Ability to work in a job that requires lifting, considerable walking, and standing, bending, pushing and pulling of equipment
- Demonstrated knowledge of infection control practices
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and the willingness to work effectively in a team
- Demonstrated commitment to on-going learning and professional development
- Demonstrated ability to foster caring and trusting relationships with patients and families in an effort to support patient focused care
- Ability to maintain a consistent level of productivity and efficiency
- Ability to ask questions and seek out assistance when unsure of how to proceed with a task that is unfamiliar
- Ability to perform responsibilities in a courteous manner
- Effective organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Patient service orientated, with the ability to effectively work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Good work and attendance record is required.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH),a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH's policies and practices.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) champions accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity through the creation of an inclusive and diverse work environment. At Michael Garron Hospital, we strive to be an equitable and inclusive employer. We encourage candidates from Black, First Nations, Métis and Inuit, racialized and LGBTQ2S+ communities, people of colour, women, people with disabilities and individuals who identify with the diverse communities that we serve, to join the MGH team.
We are committed to providing accessible employment practices thatare in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). Should you require an accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
Michael Garron Hospital, Toronto East Health Network (formerly Toronto East General Hospital or TEGH) is a full-service community teaching hospital in east Toronto.