Reporting to Manager Ambulatory OPD and Diabetes InPt/OutPt Services the Diabetes Educator RN provides focused diabetes self-management education to Prenatal, Adult Type1, and complex Adult Type2 Diabetes patients referred for Specialized tertiary care.
- Bacchalaureate degree in Nursing is an asset.
- Current Certification in Diabetes Education (CDE) required.
- Competent to perform CPR at a Basic Cardiac Life Support level.
- Current RN license in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required.
- Minimum 2 years direct diabetes education experience including individual counselling and Group education is required.
- Minimum 3 years Nursing experience with specific knowledge and experience in adult Medicine and diabetes complications is required.
- Good working knowledge of Type 1 diabetes management, diabetes in pregnancy, and diabetes care challenges in the frail elderly is required.
- Familiarity with Type 1 self-management support of personal sc insulin pumps, an asset.
- Evidence of sound organizational skills with the ability to work collaboratively in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills as they relate to individual counselling, Group education, and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing self-directed professional education and clinical leadership.
- Familiar with practical application of Adult learning principles and motivational enhancement in chronic disease self-management. Respects patient autonomy, and promotes patient self-efficacy.
- Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues, volunteers, community and public.
- Knowledge and comfort using MS Office, and evolving e-health applications.
- Comfort and skill assessing, educating and engaing patients in self-management using virtual means.
- Ability to perform the essential duties and physical demands of the position.
- Demonstrated pattern of good attendance and work record.
- Commitment to safety standards and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety.
- All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network (TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)] agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
- All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH's policies and practices.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Michael Garron Hospital, Toronto East Health Network (formerly Toronto East General Hospital or TEGH) is a full-service community teaching hospital in east Toronto.