The Bishop Strachan School (“BSS”) is an undisputed leader in girls’ education. It is within this dynamic, creative and nurturing setting that girls acquire the academic tools, the life skills and the personal confidence to become tomorrow’s leaders. BSS is a leading-edge, year-round, day and boarding school for girls, located in mid-town Toronto, with a student population of 900 JK to Grade 12 students. BSS prepares its students to meet the challenges of tomorrow’s world by focusing on the whole girl – her development in academics, athletics and the arts, as well as her social, emotional, spiritual and physical well-being. At BSS, girls are given the space, the encouragement and the tools to pursue all of their dreams.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking exceptional candidates to fill the position of:
Director, Annual Giving Programs
Reports to: Executive Director, Advancement
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Executive Director, Advancement, the Director, Annual Giving Programs oversees all aspects of the school’s annual giving efforts, which include Reunion Drives, the Graduating Class Scholarship Fund, and the Staff and Faculty Campaigns. Liaising with multiple departments across the school, the Director is responsible for increasing annually recurring gifts up to $25,000; broadening the base of annual support; and strengthening the major gift pipeline.
Being effective in this role requires a strong interest and active participation in the life of the school so that communications and interpersonal exchanges are both informed and authentic. This position strives to acquire, retain, and upgrade donors, ultimately engaging the entire BSS Community – Governors, Trustees, students, alumnae, parents, past parents, grandparents, and friends of the school – in philanthropy, in keeping with the school’s vision, mission, and values.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Designs and manages an integrated, multi-channel strategy to raise funds for school priorities including merit and needs based scholarships, academic and program enrichment, and other projects as determined by BSS leadership
- Works closely and collaboratively with the Director, Alumnae Engagement and Director, Parent Engagement to align fundraising approaches with the interests of the constituents they represent
- Develops programs to incentivize and recognize leadership giving, repeat giving, and group giving from various segments of the community
- Leads the identification and recruitment of annual fundraising volunteers, serving as primary liaison
- Enhances the use of digital marketing (email, websites, social media), analytics (predictive modeling, social media data mining), and other tools to improve segmentation and messaging and to create a personal and positive experience for a diverse range of donors
- Collaborates with the Marketing and Communications Department to ensure that each year’s suite of annual giving materials, including fall and spring appeal letters/emails, BSS website and online donation pages, thank-you letters, and recognition vehicles, are well-shaped and placed related to other all-community communications and publications, with messaging that is consonant with the overall brand and marketing strategy for the school
- Works closely with the Manager, Advancement Services to establish meaningful metrics and track annual giving activity, and with the Controller to generate transparent monthly giving reports by fund, constituency, and other parameters as requested by the Executive Director, Advancement and the Board of Trustees
- Manages a portfolio of major gift prospects, as appropriate to the other demands of the position and the fundraising priorities of the school
- Participates in all planning and strategy activities of the department
- Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging values into all activities and events
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Performs other related responsibilities as assigned
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Post-secondary education and at least seven years of experience in annual giving, including as a supervisor
- Excellent relationship manager with the ability to engage new volunteers and retain existing volunteers
- Superior project management, organizational, and planning skills as well as a track record of successful program development and implementation
- Progressive experience in donor relations and the ability to implement the principles and best practices of stewardship
- Excellent writing and communication skills and ability to produce materials and communications that are culturally sensitive and inclusive
- Attentiveness to detail
- Ability to work with sensitive information with complete confidentiality
- An understanding and appreciation of diversity and belonging that is modeled in the workplace and included in outreach to stakeholders
- Significant experience working productively with parents, alumnae, and volunteers
- Experience managing budgets and maximizing impact of resources
- Experience with donor analytics, segmentation, development writing, personal solicitation, material design, and database management
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge and highly developed computer skills with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint); fluency with Google platform
- Proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to bring a creative lens and donor-centric view to the area of annual giving
- Commitment to maintaining currency with best practices and giving trends
- A belief and commitment to girls’ education
- Flexibility and a sense of humour
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Director, Annual Giving Programs in the subject line.
The Bishop Strachan School has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees and students, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and
encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca