No: CUPE C-22-0086UER
POSTED: June 7, 2022
DEADLINE: 4:30 p.m. June 27, 2022
Senior Programmer Analyst
1 – Permanent Position
Information Technology Services
CUPE Local 4400 Unit C - Grade N (12 Month)
$39.02 per hour
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices.
NOTE: The Board is not permitted to offer this position to an employee if the time reasonably needed to travel to the location of this position from another position held by the employee -- and/or from this position to the location of another position held by the employee or the starting/ending times of the position would interfere with the employee’s one half hour lunch break as required by the Collective Agreement.
Reporting to a designated supervisor, the Senior Programmer Analyst will be responsible for the overall support, enhancement and implementation of the Board’s suite of school, business, and facility applications, interfaces, and data. This position is also responsible for the enhancement of these systems to meet user requirements and to ensure the optimum and cost effective utilization of technology within the Client/Server and Web environments. This position is responsible for leading the development of new business solutions in response to new needs of the various users within the Board.
Summary of Duties:
- Oversee the implementation of various projects or enhancements to existing systems;
- Review business problem and formulate possible alternatives;
- Develop plans, schedules, budgets, monitor progress, and develop status reports on projects or enhancements;
- Monitor the work of team members and coach them as needed;
- Act as an advisor and consultant to various clients and other teams by providing expert advice related to the internal workings of systems;
- Review software packages for compatibility/suitability within the Board’s application and technical environment;
- In the capacity of lead analyst for a number of applications, develop the specifications, systems design and database design for the software being enhanced or developed;
- Develop complex programs and monitor and review the programs developed by other team members;
- Develop the requirements for a test environment before implementation of the software and conduct unit functional and systems testing of the changes;
- Investigate and trouble shoot complex application problems;
- Assist the System Analyst and Senior Specialists in the system implementation of new systems, releases, major and minor enhancements;
- Develop a course of action to rectify any program or procedure deficiency and write scripts to correct data files;
- On an annual basis develop objectives and plans for the following year;
- Attend technology conferences and training seminars;
- Read a variety of technology journals in order to maintain state of the art knowledge of the current and future technologies;
- Investigate development tools and utilities and establishes programming standards for the development environment; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Three year community college diploma in Computer Science or related field with three years progressive working experience within an Information Technology environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Knowledge of .NET best practices and design patterns;
- Experience with Relational Database Management tools (e.g. Oracle, SQLServer);
- Experience with project methodology and systems development life cycle;
- Experience with providing direction to staff and teams;
- Successful experience providing service to clients with a customer service focus;
- Good oral, written and organizational skills;
- Solid interpersonal skills to maintain a cooperative working relationship with other members of the staff;
- Demonstrated ability to make effective presentations;
- Strong analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills;
- Proven ability to work under pressure and consistently meeting deadlines; and
- Project management and time management skills.
- Require some travel across TDSB sites;
- Employees will be required to work beyond normal working hours due to schedule activities or emergency situations.
Location: 140 Borough Drive
Hours: 35 hours per week
Work Year: 12 month
- It is anticipated that interviews will take place within two weeks after the closing date of this competition.
- It is anticipated that the successful applicant will commence as soon as possible and practical.
Applications must be submitted:
- in résumé form with a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- with competition # CUPE C-22-0086UER in the subject line
- Apply no later than 4:30pm on June 27, 2022.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the hiring process.