Receptionist and Administrative Co-ordinator
We are seeking an energetic and enthusiastic person to join our Academic Support - Administration Team! Working at The Bishop Strachan School is challenging, exciting and rewarding. It’s also a lot of fun. This is the place to be if you value forward-thinking leadership and enthusiastically embrace a global perspective.
We offer the opportunity to join an exceptional community of professionals and contribute meaningfully to the education of tomorrow’s transformational leaders. As an employer, we focus on building and developing our employees to be the very best at what they do. We offer competitive compensation, a variety of benefits and supports, and a thought-provoking and inspirational environment.
If you’re looking to challenge yourself and be a leader in girls’ education, we invite you to explore a career with BSS.
Summary of Position
The Receptionist and Administrative Co-ordinator has four main responsibilities. As the first point of contact for the BSS community, the Receptionist and Administrative Co-ordinator will use exceptional customer service skills to manage visitors in a friendly, professional, and efficient manner. They will manage the daily student attendance process and tracking, and report relevant information to the VP Student Life and Belonging. They will also provide administrative support to the Summer Academy Program while it is operating in July and August, including the Director. This position works in a procedural, collaborative manner with faculty, students, parents, and staff in keeping with the school’s vision, philosophy, and strategic plan.
Reception & General Support
- Provides professional and friendly help and direction to members of the BSS community and the public
- Tracks and monitors visitors and assigns appropriate documentation for security purposes
- Ensures COVID screening and compliance with the current protocols
- Answers the main phone lines
- Ensures the reception area is always inviting and presentable
- Provides administrative support such as electronic calendar maintenance, filing and preparing correspondence, as well as event-related support to the members of the Front Office team
- Performs routine administrative functions as required, such as correspondence preparation, scheduling, mailings, mail, and maintaining electronic files
- Has an in-depth knowledge of school’s Crisis Management protocols
- Provides back-up support and assistance to all the Academic Admin Support staff
- Oversees the full attendance process in a timely manner
- Tracks student arrivals and departures during the school day and liaises with the division offices for attendance purposes
- Follows-up on student attendance records and class attendance for every block; monitors student sign-in and sign-out; tracks and inputs student absences, late arrival, and early dismissals
- Ensures that faculty complete their class attendance in a timely manner every period
- Communicates with parents and Vice Principal daily regarding attendance issues; produces attendance reports and queries for the Vice Principal, Student Life and Belonging
- Is present and working during Summer Academy to support the Director, monitor student absences and sign outs for Summer Academy (All of July for credit courses and a week in August for skills camps)
- Manages parent communications in a timely and professional manner
- Supports Summer Academy Teachers as needed
- Assists with the report card process
Vice Principal, Student Life and Belonging Support
- Acts as a first point of contact and dealing with correspondence and phone calls
- Manages calendar and organizes agendas for meetings and appointments
- Books and arranges travel, transport, and accommodation
- Supports the school with speakers, events and conferences as needed
- Prepares communications on behalf of manager
- Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging values into all activities
- Participates in professional learning and growth
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
Skills, Experience and Attributes
- Post-Secondary education is an asset
- Previous reception and administration experience is an asset
- Culturally competent with a positive attitude toward cultural uniqueness and a readiness to accept and respect others
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Outstanding customer service focus
- Experience in an educational environment, is an asset
- Proven strength in Microsoft Office including Excel, and proficiency working in a Google environment including Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendars
- Demonstrated expertise in the effective use of database technology – knowledge and experience with Blackbaud an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both in person and over the telephone
- Demonstrated professionalism at all times including reliability
- Proven ability to be vigilant with respect to security issues
- Proven ability to exercise good judgment and make split-second decisions, prioritize, and handle confidential information
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to remain flexible
Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Core Competencies at BSS:
- Respect and care
- Trust and integrity
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Community focused
Why Work at BSS?
We value the willingness to take risks in order to learn and grow - and not just for our students. At BSS, you have the opportunity to immerse yourself in an unparalleled setting, with access to innovative tools, support and resources, so you can pursue ongoing professional learning, whatever your role. BSS offers a competitive total compensation package that includes:
- Extensive health and dental benefits package
- Our administration participate in our robust pension plan with up to 8% match
- Lunches provided with a taxable benefit
- Discounted tuition for eligible staff
- Use of on-site fitness center
- And a chance to be part of a great community!
BSS Values Diversity:
BSS is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and respectful environment. We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com indicating Receptionist and Administrative Co-ordinator in the subject line. For more information about BSS, please visit our website at www.bss.on.ca
We are committed to providing an accessible experience and an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the recruitment process. If you have restrictions that need to be accommodated to fully participate in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact the Executive Assistant, Human Resources and Finance at 416-483-4325, ext. 4207 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Please note, we have a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.