Competition No: CUPE C-21-0185UTE
POSTED: September 15, 2021
DEADLINE: 4:30 p.m. September 23, 2021
Client Service Desk Technical Support Specialist
1 – Acting Position
Information Technology Services
CUPE Local 4400, Unit C – Grade L (12 month)
$32.25 per hour
(It is anticipated that the acting assignment will end on June 30, 2022)
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices.
Reporting to the Problem/Incident Management Supervisor, under the day to day direction of the Client Service Desk Team Leader, the Client Service Desk Technical Support Specialist will:
- provide a single point of contact to all TDSB clients for any technical IT Services related support;
- provide first level resolution for business and academic account access, computer application and software, hardware products and network connectivity support required by the individual clients and co-ordinate, on their behalf, the resolution of incidents that cannot be solved immediately or the fulfillment of service requests;
- handle client interactions using the Contact Centre Interaction Management system and record initial or update existing incident or request tickets in the ITSM software platform; triage interactions to the appropriate queues;
- identify and successfully escalate difficult incidents to the appropriate support group within set time limits and establish the priority of any incidents that are escalated;
- research and document escalated incidents, update knowledge base (kb) article content to maintain their accuracy and use specialized knowledge/diagnostic tools to solve incidents; and
- ensure that all terms and conditions in the Service and Operational Level Agreements and all ITS, Client Service Desk and TDSB Service Excellence guiding principles processes and procedures are followed.
Summary of Duties:
- Provide multi-channel (i.e. telephone, webchat, email, self-service submission etc.) support to TDSB academic and business clients in any of the following areas of service: account access, device hardware, device software, Board approved on-prem and cloud applications, ITS systems,office phones, smartphones and network connectivity;
- Administer the ITSM ticketing platform which includes recording, analyzing, categorizing, prioritizing, documenting, resolving or escalating and tracking all incidents and service requests received at the Client Service Desk;
- Triage interactions and assign to appropriate queues within the Contact Centre Interaction Management system;
- Ensure that automatically populated data in the ticket fields is accurate, correct any errors, and determine the most effective manner to log and solve incidents or service requests;
- Consult with subject matter experts or Team Lead for resolution of difficult technical issues, or escalate incidents to appropriate ITS level support group;
- Provide specialized technical assistance for hardware related incidents or service requests for supported computer devices, peripherals such as printers, scanners, whiteboards, office phones etc., document, resolve or assign to Field Services, third party vendors or other ITS support group as applicable;
- Provide specialized technical assistance for software related incidents or service requests such as Microsoft, GSuite, operating systems, desktop and mobile device applications, academic and admin images, email packages (client and web) collaboration applications, remote learning management platforms, business applications and resolve or assign to other ITS support or TDSB group as applicable;
- Validate proof of license for all licensed software requests;
- Diagnose technical infrastructure connectivity problems or requests for service for academic or business users, (i.e. WAN, Wireless) document, resolve or assign to applicable ITS support group;
- Utilize ITS technology tools such as device remote control, mobile device management, software distribution, network connectivity, account password and permissions management, and CSD developed tools to support clients;
- Train/coach/support clients (just-in-time training) on various supported software and Board applications and systems, as well as team members and new staff as required;
- Refer to TDSB ITS and online resources to research solutions for more difficult problems (i.e., Microsoft, Google, third party vendor, internal KBs etc.);
- Identify and escalate to Team Lead any incidents or service requests for academic or business users that may lead to service improvement, future enhancement recommendations or user training opportunities;
- Assist in producing, revising and updating Knowledge Base articles, as well as, creating and maintaining a library of standard e-mail, webchat and ServiceNow template responses as required;
- Monitor CSD ITSM ServiceNow dashboards for self-service portal client submissions and log, follow-up with user, resolve or escalate as required;
- Monitor CSD ITSM dashboards for daily trends, as well as, tickets requiring further intervention for first level resolution, action or response in accordance with SLA and OLA’s terms and conditions;
- Conduct research or project activities as assigned;
- Periodically may be assigned to work in other functional areas within IT Services; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Three-year community college diploma in Computer Technology or related field, with one year directly related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Certification acquired as Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), ITIL Training/Certification or knowledge of ITIL;
- Strong knowledge and experience using IT service management applications (i.e. ServiceNow or other ITSM solution) and Contact Center Interaction Management systems (i.e. Apropos);
- Technical skills include expert knowledge in the support of computer hardware devices running Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Chrome and Android operating systems; hardware peripherals, office phones, smartphones and networking infrastructure (WAN, WiFi) connectivity and support issues.
- Demonstrated experience supporting account management tools: AD, MS Azure AD, SAMS and software applications such as Microsoft Office 365 GSuite, Apple and Chrome academic supported apps, email systems (i.e. Exchange Outlook, Gmail), collaboration tools (i.e. Academic Workspace, Microsoft, virtual conferencing), on-prem and cloud applications such as Mobile Device Management, business applications such as SAP, SIS and remote learning management systems such as Brightspace, Google Classroom, virtual communication, such as Zoom, Google Meet, Teams and Ministry approved and other academic and admin software.
- Demonstrated experience using remote control software, VPN, wireless access points, and wireless devices such as Smartphones, iPads, Chrome, BYOD etc.;
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new applications, software upgrades and hardware platforms and systems to keep up with the ongoing changing technological requirements of the organization;
- Knowledge of the contents/intent and adherence to customer Service Level Agreements; IT Services Operational Level Agreements and compliance with TDSB, ITS and Client Service Desk Service Excellence guiding principles, policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of TDSB Board products and services and 2nd/3rd tier support contacts (i.e. Software Manufacturers, third party repair organizations);
- Strong oral, written, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to explain information technology topics to non-technical business/academic clients;
- Strong interaction handling and customer relationship/satisfaction skills (via phone, webchat, email, ServiceNow);
- Strong analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills; and
- Proven ability to work under pressure and consistently meeting deadlines.
- Require some travel across TDSB sites; and
- Shift hours and lunch hours will be staggered to ensure operational continuity.
Location: 1 Civic Centre Court (wheelchair accessible)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Work Year: 12 months
- It is anticipated that interviews will take place within two weeks after the closing date of this competition.
- It is anticipated that the successful applicant will commence as soon as possible and practical.
Applications must be submitted:
- in résumé form with a covering letter to: email@example.com
- with competition # CUPE C-21-0185UTE in the subject line
- Apply no later than 4:30pm on September 23, 2021
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the hiring process.