APPLICATIONS ARE INVITED FOR THE POSITION OF
COMMUNICATION FACILITATOR- SPECIAL EDUCATION
CUPE LOCAL 1328 SCHOOL BASED EDUCATIONAL SUPPORT STAFF
(Work Location: St Bruno/St Raymond Catholic School)
Salary Range – $1,511.73 – $1,754.68 Biweekly ($39, 305- $45, 622)
(Inclusive of Benefit and Pension Plan Entitlements)
At the Toronto Catholic District School Board, we transform the world through witness, faith, innovation and action. Servant-leadership that is visionary, empowering and inclusive is a fundamental characteristic of our Board. We seek colleagues who demonstrate a powerful personal mission and commitment through action to these principles. We are committed to fairly and objectively recruiting and selecting leaders and staff who are excellent role models, visionary and innovative, student-focused, committed to diversity, inclusion and equity and are also collaborative in building a Catholic community.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A PERMANENT 10 MONTH POSITION
HOURS OF WORK: SIX (6) HOURS PER DAY
CRITERIA FOR INTERVIEW:
- 2-year Sign Language Communicator/Communication Facilitator College Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum six (6) months of related experience
- Fluent in ASL, integrated lessons
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The primary function of this job is to assist the Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in delivering an appropriate educational program for Deaf & Hard of Hearing Students. Utilizing Sign Language and non-verbal communications (e.g. facial expressions, writing/drawing) to facilitate and support the Deaf and Hard of Hearing students with their learning in both the special class and regular class settings.
- Assist the Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in classroom activities such as: assisting the student with seat work (e.g. explaining concepts like subtraction, etc.); helping the students with class activities (e.g. art work); organizing materials around the classroom; performing listening checks and trouble-shooting the amplification systems, etc.
- Provide support to Deaf and Hard of Hearing students in integrated classes such as: providing sign language communication to enable participation in an activity; providing a summary/context of the lesson in sign language; reinforcing the lesson during seat work; voicing the sign language communications of the students into oral English for the mainstream Teacher and students etc.
- Provide Communication Facilitator functions for non-classroom activities such as: providing sign language information and limited interpreting for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing students during special events; accompanying the students to events; providing yard duty on a rotational basis with other staff, etc.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or required
NOTE: All applicants must be practicing Roman Catholics verified through a pastoral recommendation from a Roman Catholic Parish Priest.
Diversity and Inclusion
Consistent with the TCDSB’s Employment Equity policy and Multi-Year Strategic Plan, the TCDSB is strongly committed to fostering and creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the stakeholders and communities we serve. As such, we welcome and encourage applications from candidates who self-identify as visible minorities, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and women. You are invited to voluntarily indicate if you identify as one or more of the aforementioned communities. This information will be kept confidential.
Barrier-Free Recruitment and Selection
TCDSB embraces the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and as such, is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department at the time of your application of any requirement for an accommodation. The need for documentation to support the accommodation will be requested as required prior to the implementation of any accommodation measures.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, and any related educational documents, and reference letters, no later than Friday, October 29, 2021. Failure to complete a full package may impact your eligibility for an interview.
Applications are to be submitted online through ApplyToEducation at:
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note, candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide original applicable education documents.