The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) is a truly unique organization that stands apart as a leader in education, and particularly in education for girls. BSS is a year round, day and boarding school located in mid-town Toronto. A beautiful setting and an extraordinary staff and faculty, round out the many opportunities for growth in this environment. As the Facilities Staff Member, you will work with highly experienced colleagues in a professional and creative team environment. Excellence is the defining attribute of BSS. We are seeking exceptionally skilled and experienced candidates to fill the position of:
Facilities Staff Member
Reports to: Facilities Supervisor
Indirectly Report to: Director of Facilities Operations
Summary of Position:
As a member of a team, the Facilities Staff Member is required to perform preventative and regular maintenance tasks, ensure the safe operations of equipment, maintain interior/exterior areas of the school building and work on-call hours. The Facilities Staff Member works in a collegial manner with all constituents of The Bishop Strachan School in support of the school’s vision.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Performs general maintenance operations throughout the school, including: painting, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, pool and boiler maintenance functions
- Completes facility repairs and minor renovations based on the needs developed by the automated maintenance program
- Acts as the point person with general and maintenance contractors (e.g. elevators, roofing, windows) ensuring appropriate service and pricing
- Performs preventative maintenance checks on a regular basis
- Inspects the overall buildings and facilities for needed services and repairs
- Investigates and responds to any breakdowns to office/school equipment/furniture or physical spaces and follows-up with the Facilities Co-ordinator or Facilities Supervisor to report status
- Responds to work orders and preventative maintenance using iPad technology
- Works with the Facilities Team to respond to emergencies (i.e. floods, fire alarms, power failures, etc.)
- Assists with traffic control during school arrival and dismissal throughout the school year
- Provides general grounds-keeping support
- Delivers supplies and equipment to the appropriate departments or storage areas
- Organizes garbage and recycling bins for pick up on scheduled days
- Assists Housekeeping staff with the set up/disassembly of various rooms including furniture, AV equipment and storage for major events
- Follows effective and appropriate Health and Safety practices
- As On-Call Staff (Anytime after regular shift from 3:30 pm to 7:00 am including public holidays and weekends):
– Responds to all calls received on the on-call phone during on-call hours and when necessary arrives onsite within an hour to investigate and determine whether or not an external contractor is required for the emergency service
– Reports emergency requests promptly to the Facilities Supervisor and/or Director of Facilities Operations
- Covers weekends once a month during the school year
- Commits to the Staff Growth and Evaluation Process
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Ability to push, lift and carry up to 30 pounds
- Solid knowledge of construction and renovations, basic tools and equipment, specifications, quality control, and safety practices
- Strong understanding of and ability to perform daily building maintenance routines
- Mechanical/electrical aptitude and troubleshooting skills
- Electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, painting and pool experience
- Ability to use computer software and computer technology at an intermediate level
- Effective team-player who also has the ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to take initiative
- Enrollment in the Building Environmental Systems Operators certificate program, or a similar program at a community college is an asset
- Flexibility and a sense of humour
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to email@example.com indicating Facilities Staff Member in the subject line.
The Bishop Strachan School has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy in place for employees and students, unless official documentation of a human rights exemption is provided and can be accommodated.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our school fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and
encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca