APPLICATIONS ARE INVITED FOR THE POSITION OF
HEALTH CARE ASSISTANT (TEMPORARY)
ST JEROME CATHOLIC SCHOOL
(111 Sharpecroft Blvd, North York, Ontario)
CUPE 1328 SBESS (School Based Educational Support Staff)
Salary Range: $1,795.22 – $2,204.08 Bi-weekly
At the Toronto Catholic District School Board, we transform the world through witness, faith, innovation and action. Servant-leadership that is visionary, empowering and inclusive is a fundamental characteristic of our Board. We seek colleagues who demonstrate a powerful personal mission and commitment through action to these principles. We are committed to fairly and objectively recruiting and selecting leaders and staff who are excellent role models, visionary and innovative, student-focused, committed to diversity, inclusion and equity and are also collaborative in building a Catholic community.
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A 10-MONTH TEMPORARY POSITION UNTIL JUNE 2022 (with a possibility of an extension).
Hours of work: 6 hours per day
- 2-year College Diploma in Practical Nursing Program including current registration as a Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
- Minimum of one (1) year related experience
- Valid CPR certification
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently in a team environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
The primary function of this job is to administer the medical requirements of students with special educational needs and to help all students in the classroom reach their maximum potential in their environment.
- Administer the medical requirements of students with special educational needs by performing activities such as:
– clean intermittent catheterization and shallow surface suctioning;
– sterile catheterization and deep suctioning;
– assessing severity of a seizure and determining if hospital care is required;
– monitoring seizure to ensure student is not injured;
– giving appropriate amount of prescribed medication at correct intervals as directed;
– preparing charts and maintaining records relating to medical needs;
– following established emergency procedures if hospital treatment is required and accompanying
- student(s) to the hospital/group home as required;
– ensuring adequate medical supplies and equipment, and placing orders as required;
– maintaining daily records of student activities in ‘communication book’, etc.
- Monitor and administer G-tube feed in compliance with established protocol/process
- Monitor bodily functions of severely disabled students by changing diapers, toilet training, accompanying male/female adolescents in a regular school washroom, washing soiled towels, etc.
- Perform lifting and positioning to meet the physical/mobility needs of the students
- Carry out a physiotherapy program on a daily basis as required
- Maintain alert and careful attention to students at all times
- Perform tasks as an active member of an integrated team in providing caring attention to the physical and emotional needs of the students
- Assist students to take part in a variety of skill-learning activities based on their capabilities such as instructing in life skills; training in social skills; assisting in the development of speech and language skills; providing physical education, and arts and crafts activities; assisting in academic subjects, etc.
- Act as a liaison person with outside agencies, health care professionals, group homes and others regarding medical matters
- Perform other duties as required or assigned
NOTE: All applicants must be practicing Roman Catholics verified through a pastoral recommendation from a Roman Catholic Parish Priest.
Diversity and Inclusion
Consistent with the TCDSB’s Employment Equity policy and Multi-Year Strategic Plan, the TCDSB is strongly committed to fostering and creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the stakeholders and communities we serve. As such, we welcome and encourage applications from candidates who self-identify as visible minorities, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and women. You are invited to voluntarily indicate if you identify as one or more of the aforementioned communities. This information will be kept confidential
Barrier-Free Recruitment and Selection
TCDSB embraces the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and as such, is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department at the time of your application of any requirement for an accommodation. The need for documentation to support the accommodation will be requested as required prior to the implementation of any accommodation measures.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, and any related educational documents, and reference letters, no later than Monday, September 27, 2021. Failure to complete a full package may impact your eligibility for an interview.
Applications are to be submitted online through ApplyToEducation at:
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note, candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide original applicable education documents.