HEALTH & PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER JOB DESCRIPTION
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and motivated teacher of Physical Education to join our school and be part of a thriving team of professionals.
EMPLOYER: Mundo Peetabeck Education Authority
SCHOOL NAME: Peetabeck Academy
LOCATION: Fort Albany, Ontario
ABOUT SCHOOL: Peetabeck Academy provides educational services and supports to elementary and secondary school students living on reserve.
- Administers education programs and schools through Mundo Peetabeck Education Authority
- Operates Peetabeck Academy, an on-reserve school for students from JK to Grade 12.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Physical Education is very popular at Peetabeck Academy and we are looking for a teacher who can inspire children to achieve well in the subject and also enjoy being physically active.
- Effectively organize space, equipment, and students
- Provide adequate equipment that allows all children to be active at the same time (e.g., one ball per child
- Limit teacher talk or instruction time
- Plan practice opportunities that are structured for maximum participation (e.g., individual, partner, and small-group activities; activities that require no wait time)
- Structure the class so that learning occurs while students are being physically active.
- Teach skills and activities that transfer into physical activity outside of Physical Education class
- Motivate children to be active
- Promote, plan, participate and contribute to a full and extensive extracurricular programme after school/evening
- Ensure lessons are planned
- Assess, record, report on progress/attainment of pupils
- Manage, coach and officiate sports teams (predominantly Basketball, Ice Hockey, and football)
- Teach according to pupils’ educational needs
- Deliver physical activity homework or home fun. Send a physical activity calendar home of the home fun activity and assess through an honor system and documenting on a physical activity calendar for older children.
- Praise and participate. A word of encouragement is a simple way to promote physical activity
- Have a clear vision/focus
- Be passionate about the subject and communicate well with young people
- Maintain discipline following school procedures
- Ensure a high-quality learning environment
- Leading by example. One final way to motivate students to be active is for the physical education teacher to lead by example.
- Help in the evaluation and planning process for the school
- Ability to teach high school Physical Education credit course is an asset.
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the child
- Be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security
Sharing information/Multi-agency working
- Maintain positive link with after school sports activities, & Fort Albany Health Centre organisation
- Contribute to the school’s promotion and other Fort Albany organisation partnership
- To work with other colleagues to build positive working relationships
- Work alongside colleagues in planning, adjusting and delivering learning activities
- Attend parents evening meetings, INSET days, staff meetings and other events as appropriate.
The School reserves the right to require you to perform other reasonable duties, from time to time, and it is a condition of your employment that you are prepared to do this.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Oct certification in good standing with qualifications Junior/Intermediate Divisions or equivalent
- New/experienced teachers are welcomed
- Some experience in a similar position is an asset
- A demonstrated passion and commitment toward continued professional growth and development
- Strong communication skills (written & oral) with students, parents, and administrators
- Strong skills to work in a collaborative working environment
ABOUT THE BENEFITS: As recognition for all your hard work and determination, you can look forward to a competitive annual salary based on QECO rating and MPEA salary grid, plus the following:
- 100% health benefits package
- Pension plan
- Free Teacherage
- Free Internet
- Northern Allowance
- Travel allowance
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants should forward:
- A cover letter,
- OCT certification,
- 3 professional reference letters one of which is from your immediate supervisor & permission to contact them in writing
To the Education Director, Nicole Gillies by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for this application process is open until a candidate is selected.
We thank all candidates in advance. However, we will contact only those selected for an interview.
To work at Peetabeck Academy, all employees must provide a Police Vulnerable Sector check.