No: CUPE B-22-0009
POSTED: September 09, 2021
DEADLINE: 4:30 p.m. September 22, 2021
Indigenous Cultures and Traditions Instructor – Elementary
Level Jk-8 (Long Term Supply)
Urban Indigenous Education Centre
$45.50 per hour (Plus 3.4% statutory holiday pay and 4% vacation pay)
(C.U.P.E. Local 4400, Unit B)
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices.
The Toronto District School Board invites applications for the position of First Nations, Métis and Inuit Culture(s) and Traditions Instructor at the above location. The successful candidate would report to the System Superintendent – Indigenous Education.
Summary of Duties:
- Instruct, evaluate and report on the progress of First Nations, Métis and Inuit learners.
- Provide a balanced program that explores Indigenous Cultures and Histories through Literature, Social Studies and the Arts.
- Design, plan and implement a balanced Holistic program.
- Foster respect for all people and all cultures.
- Provide culturally relevant instruction and culturally safe environments based on students’ strengths and needs.
- Mentor and work collaboratively with education partners to effectively adapt and support decolonizing and indigenizing classroom programming and instruction for First Nations, Métis and Inuit Students.
- Liaise with local Indigenous community members, central support staff and the Urban Indigenous Education Centre to promote cultural teachings and traditional skills in elementary school programming.
- Record pupil attendance.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to read and write fluently in English.
- Ability to use the arts to promote student learning.
- Ability to manage lessons with classes containing students of several ability levels.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively adapt the curriculum around thematic units to accommodate and advance the skills of all students.
- Well-informed understanding of the histories of First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples in Canada.
- Commitment to work effectively as a part of a team.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to work in a multicultural, multiracial environment is an asset.
- Working knowledge or fluency in one or more Native languages is an asset.
- Knowledge of traditional and contemporary cultural traditions (e.g. drumming, dancing, beading, storytelling, traditional teachings, etc.)
- Ability to identify and access relevant resources as required to supplement program (e.g. books, music, Aboriginal artists in community, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- The successful candidate will self-identify as an Indigenous person (including First Nations, Métis or Inuit), and will demonstrate a strong understanding of Indigenous cultures and traditions.
- Relevant teaching experience or appropriate related experience with Elementary school-age children.
- Teaching experience from other countries will be considered.
- Post-secondary degree from an accredited institution is an asset.
- Ontario Teaching Certification is an asset.
Assignment Number: E-AC-BF-104527
Position Number: 50266874
Program Period: September to June
Schedule: 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Hours: 17.5 hours per week (Monday to Friday)
Location: Urban Indigenous Education Centre, 16 Phin Avenue
The successful candidate will be based at the Urban Indigenous Education Centre with the understanding that the candidate will be working with students and staff across the system. (Not wheelchair accessible)
- Applicants, who are currently on the Redeployment List as a result of site closures, class closures, Program closures or departmental restructuring, should clearly make a note of this when applying for posted positions. These candidates will be given first priority for placement as per Article BB.1, BB.6 and BB.6.1 of the Collective Agreement.
- Applicants seeking a lateral transfer as per Article P.8.1 of the Collective Agreement will be given second consideration.
- Applicants on Seniority List A, together with any Self-Identified Employee on Seniority List B, who is the successful applicant and working in a Posted Long Term Supply Assignment will be given third consideration.
- Applicants who hold positions from Seniority List B (Supply Staff List) will be given fourth consideration.
- An otherwise qualified applicant who lacks the educational requirements of the position will have appropriate equivalent related experience considered.
- The Employer shall review the hours of work of existing employees and the economic impact which will result if the Employer offers this position to such employee. Employees whose combined total hours of work of this advertised position and any other position(s) held at the TDSB attract overtime under the ESA shall not be considered for this vacancy.
- All new hires to the Toronto District School Board are required to have a Police Reference Check as a condition of employment.
Applicants should complete a Unit B Application for a Position/Lateral Transfer form and attach a copy of their current resume. Résumés should indicate qualifications, ability and experience applicable to this position. A separate application and/or resume must be submitted for each individual job posting. Your employee number must be included on each application. Applications should be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. on September 22, 2021 to:
Toronto District School Board
Employee Services – Unit B
Attention: Staffing Officer
Please quote Competition #CUPE B-22-0009 when responding to this Job Posting. Place this number on the outside of the envelope and the covering letter:
Competition Number: CUPE B-22-0009
Location: 16 Phin Avenue
a) We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
b) Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
a) Applications should be submitted using only ONE of the following methods:
1. Email to email@example.com
2. Fax to (416) 620-8760 Only one application per fax submission. No batch submissions. Please retain a copy of the fax transmittal confirmation as proof of your submission
b) We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
c) Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.