Instructional Design Technologist
Find Your Spot at Humber
At Humber, our career paths open up a world of infinite possibilities for you to explore. People are at the heart of the Humber experience. Here, every day we work shoulder to shoulder to deliver excellence, and in doing so, we redefine what it means to be a leader in polytechnic education. Humber employees are a diverse group of committed, caring and fun-loving people.
We take finding and growing the right talent very seriously. We strive to find and nurture extraordinary employees who bring their best each day.
If you are interested in working in higher education and are looking to contribute to the largest polytechnic College in Ontario, as we shape the future of our students and communities, here is your opportunity to join our team.
Position Title: Instructional Design Technologist
Status: 8 month Contract
Number of Openings: 6
Hours: 37.5 hours/week
Faculty: Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences and Innovative Learning
Campus/Location: North Campus
Salary: $23.43 – $36.05
What you will do:
Utilizing technology and sound pedagogical theory to support the transfer of courses to the online environment.
- Moving from FTF (face to face) to Online: Build course outline to match an online approach
- Designing for the online environment: Use a lesson plan template, engage in tutorials and training
- Getting familiar with Blackboard (Bb): Review features and functions for learning and teaching, including synchronous tools
- Building the course: Create modular sessions for the course, including activities, formative, and summative assessments
- Utilizing established course materials: Assemble content and resources – free, licensed, or OER resources, and with Library support – content, video, media
- Ensuring Accessibility: Make the course accessible – use Bb Ally tool to assess, ALS support for accommodations
- Engaging students: Complete one-minute course trailer to promote the course, critical path, and assessments
- Ensuring quality: Participate in quality assurance process for the online course and remediate any deficiencies – QM checklist
- Checking usability: Review online course from student perspective and remediate any deficiencies
- Launching the course: Welcome students, interact with CTL teams for support, direct students to support resources
What you bring to the role:
- 4 year post-secondary education in a relevant field such as instructional technology and design, education.
- 3 years instructional design experience and/or teaching experience. Experience working with online platforms such as Blackboard preferred; ability to maximize technology to enhance student learning and meet AODA standards.
What’s In it for you?
- An opportunity to have an impact with a post-secondary institution, poised to do great things.
- Diverse, hard-working, committed team of people who care about each other.
- Tools and technology that will allow you to succeed at your job.
- Amazing perks
- Highly supportive work culture
At Humber College we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it! Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and a progressive mindset goes a long way at Humber. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying and tell us why you are a great candidate for this job. Find your Spot at Humber!
We thank you for your interest in working with Humber College. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Consideration for Support Staff and Academic positions will be given to internal employees in accordance with the respective Collective Agreements.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Humber College is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek Indigenous Peoples and individuals from equity-deserving groups with demonstrated skills and knowledge to deal with all aspects of equity, diversity and inclusion in a post-secondary environment.
Humber College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Our HR Generalists will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate formats upon request.
At Humber College, all forms of discrimination and harassment are prohibited. Students and employees have the right to study, live and work in an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. If you need assistance on concerns related to discrimination and harassment, please contact the Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion http://hrs.humber.ca/human-rights-equity-diversity.html or the Office of Student Conduct at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Position Type: Support – Project of a Non-Recurring Kind
Minimum Salary: 23.43
Maximum Salary: 36.05
Work Locations: North Campus 205 Humber College Blvd. Etobicoke M9W 5L7
Job Family: Liberal Arts
Duration of Need: 8 month contract
Deadline to Apply: October 17, 2021
Job Posting: 10/8/21
Department: Faculty of Liberal Arts & Sciences and Innovative Learning