Competition No: CUPE C-21-0206UE
POSTED: September 15, 2021
DEADLINE: 4:30 p.m. September 30, 2021
Library Assistant, General
1 – Permanent Position
Leadership, Learning and School Improvement
CUPE Local 4400, Unit C – Grade G (12 Month)
$23.00 per hour
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices.
Reporting to the Unit Coordinator, Professional Library Services, the Library Assistant, General will support the Professional Library in the acquisition, organization and dissemination of information and resources.
Summary of Duties:
- Perform circulation, inter-library loan, and materials selection functions of the Professional Library;
- Check items in and out, process reserves, renewals, overdue items;
- Respond to inquiries and requests by phone, email, and in person
- Locate organize and shelve library resources, including books, periodicals, and files;
- Complete regular maintenance of collection ensuring that the materials have been correctly labeled and shelved;
- Assist with inventory, culling and moving the collection;
- Assist teachers in locating materials;
- Support creation and maintenance of bibliographies and resource lists;
- Process library materials; applying pockets, labels and dust jackets;
- Process journals for shelving;
- Provide support and back-up to Library & Learning Resources central office functions;
- Participate in workshops and training sessions to remain current with new practices and technologies; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Secondary school diploma including computer courses with one year related experience in a Library environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Ability to communicate effectively to callers and staff with customer service focus in person, on the phone, in email and online;
- Proficient keyboarding and computer skills which include use of automated library systems, database management applications, Google Suite, Microsoft Office and email;
- Good organizational skills; and
- Proven ability to prioritize workload;.
- Ability to lift and move books up to 20 kilograms.
Location: 3 Tippett Road (wheelchair accessible)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Work Year: 12 months
- It is anticipated that interviews will take place within two weeks after the closing date of this competition.
- It is anticipated that the successful applicant will commence as soon as possible and practical.
Applications must be submitted:
- in résumé form with a covering letter to: email@example.com
- with competition # CUPE C-21-0206UE in the subject line
- Apply no later than 4:30pm on September 30, 2021
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance, during the application process.