MANAGER, MAINTENANCE, BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS
Organization: Ministry of Education
Division: Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch
Job Term:1 Permanent
Job Code:M0611B – Technical Services12
Salary: $57,398.00 – $84,322.00 Per Year
Understanding the job ad – definitions
Posting Status: Open
Are you looking for an opportunity to expand your career at a large school campus situated in a park like setting, in a role where you will be involved in both the management of staff, projects and trades persons? If so, consider bringing your expertise in facility maintenance and operations to this challenging opportunity with the Ministry of Education.
About Our Branch
The Ministry of Education is responsible for the administration of four sites that operate provincial and demonstration schools for pupils who are Deaf, blind, deafblind and have severe learning disabilities. The Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch oversees the policies and operation of the schools. In addition, the schools provide residential facilities for the pupils; provide alternative programs as part of a continuum of services offered by local school boards; establish partnerships with school boards, community organizations and other government ministries to improve educational and residential programs; and disseminate information to parents, staff, the medical community, the general public and other interested organizations on issues related to the education of students.
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) Leadership Behaviours defines what it means to be a leader by the following expected attributes and behavioural competencies:
- We are responsible for being a leader by demonstrating authenticity, accountability and courage.
- We are innovative for the future by embracing positive disruption, a future mindset and by developing each other, every day.
- We are collaborative by leading with a common purpose, being inclusive and driving people centered outcomes.
Please note: Due to COVID-19, remote work arrangements are currently in effect, attendance at the office will be required as needed.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
- provide on-site management of licensed trades persons in the provision of electrical, plumbing, carpentry, general and grounds maintenance.
- plan, coordinate and implement effective maintenance, grounds keeping, construction and renovation projects.
- ensure a safe and secure environment on campus.
- co-ordinate, organize and recommend approval of construction/renovation plans.
- budget, prioritize and manage maintenance projects.
How do I qualify?
- You have demonstrated supervisory experience to direct, coordinate and schedule work.
- You have the ability to effectively recruit, manage, train and performance management staff.
- You have the ability to interpret and apply collective agreements, policies and legislation related to the work environment.
- You have working knowledge of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire alarm systems, electro-mechanical and pneumatic systems and instrumentation.
- You have sound knowledge of security practices.
- You have demonstrated experience in one or more mechanical/construction skilled trades (i.e. plumber, electrician, carpenter, stationary engineer, project management or site foreman/forewoman).
- You have knowledge of a variety of policies, procedures and legislation such as Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), building costs/fire codes, local by-laws etc.
- You have the ability to formulate/manage budgets.
Analytical and Project Management Skills:
- You are able to analyze problems and take corrective actions
- You have well developed analytical and interpersonal skills to make sound decisions and maintain good working relationships
- You have project management experience to identify, monitor and evaluate maintenance related projects
- 1 Permanent, 255 Ontario St S, Milton, Central Region, Vulnerable Sector Check (Fingerprint Based)
Management Compensation Plan
Understanding the job ad – definitions
Category: Maintenance and Trades
Posted on: Wednesday, September 8, 2021
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
- You must apply online by visiting the OPS Careers website: http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca and searching Job ID: 168519
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Wednesday, September 22, 2021 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Note: The only website where you can apply on-line for positions with the Ontario Public Service is http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca
THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO FOSTERING AND MAINTAINING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT PROMOTES RESPECT FOR OTHERS, OPEN COMMUNICATION, TEAMWORK AND ACCOUNTABILITY.