Manager, Transition and Engagement, FT, University of Guelph
Find Your Spot at Guelph-Humber
At Guelph-Humber, our career paths open up a world of infinite possibilities for you to explore. People are at the heart of the Guelph-Humber experience. Here, every day we work shoulder to shoulder to deliver excellence, and in doing so, we redefine what it means to be a leader in polytechnic education. Guelph-Humber employees are a diverse group of committed, caring and fun loving people.
We take finding and growing the right talent very seriously. We strive to find and nurture extraordinary employees who bring their best each day.
If you are interested in working in higher education and are looking to contribute to the largest polytechnic College in Ontario, as we shape the future of our students and communities, here is your opportunity to join our team.
Position Title: Manager, Transitions & Engagement
Faculty/Department: University of Guelph-Humber
Campus/Location: University of Guelph-Humber
What you will do:
The Manager, Transitions & Engagement plays a vital role in the creation and management of student success and student leadership/engagement programs offered at the University of Guelph-Humber. Reporting to the Department Head, Student Services, and working closely with other members of the senior management team, the Manager, Transitions & Engagement oversees the development of student transition and engagement activities to support students through their experience at the University of Guelph-Humber from pre-arrival through to graduation and as alumni.
The Manager, Transitions & Engagement is responsible for managing the development and implementation of all transition and engagement programs, providing daily management and coordination of staff activities including authority for four (4) full time staff, 1 part time, and upwards of ninety (90) student employees, who support various student and alumni success initiatives.
The Manager, Transitions & Engagement acts on behalf of the unit in formal processes under the Collective Agreement when appropriate and responds to staff/student grievances and has accountability for all Human Resource issues in the unit including recruitment, hiring, training, performance management, authorizing overtime and requests for time off.
In addition, The Manager, Transitions & Engagement leads the department in providing outcomes-based assessment of programs and services, oversees all departmental communications and publications, and manages the relationships with student government (IGNITE) and academic student societies
What you bring to the role:
- A Master’s Degree related to Higher Education, Student Affairs Administration or Student Development or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Four (4) year Bachelor’s Degree with at least 4 years’ experience in increasingly demanding role in Student Affairs
- Four (4) year Bachelor’s Degree and at least 3 years’ experience in a managerial role within a student services environment
- 3-5 years’ of progressive relevant experience.
- Experience in the design, implementation and evaluation of programs and events, including supervising staff and managing budgets
- Experience working with alumni considered an asset
- Strong management, leadership and team-building skills
- High degree of emotional and social intelligence
- Sound understanding of how the application of leadership development theories contribute to recruitment, retention and the reputation an organization
- Sound professional judgement, analysis and assessment
- Beyond general observation, effective critical thinking, and investigation
- Strong communication and intrapersonal skills
- Sound knowledge of the concerns and lifestyles of a diverse student population
- Strong event planning skills
What’s in it for you?
- An opportunity to have an impact with a post-secondary institution, poised to do great things.
- Diverse, hard-working, committed team of people who care about each other.
- Tools and technology that will allow you to succeed at your job.
- Work /Life balance with extended health and dental benefits, and above-average days off due to University closure schedules
- Amazing perks
- Highly supportive work culture
At the University we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it! Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and a progressive mindset goes a long way at Guelph-Humber. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying and tell us why you are a great candidate for this job. Find your Spot at Guelph-Humber!
We thank you for your interest in working with the University of Guelph-Humber. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Consideration for Support Staff and Academic positions will be given to internal employees in accordance with the respective Collective Agreements.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The University of Guelph-Humber is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek Indigenous Peoples and individuals from equity-deserving groups with demonstrated skills and knowledge to deal with all aspects of equity, diversity and inclusion in a post-secondary environment.
The University of Guelph-Humber is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Our HR Generalists will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate formats upon request.
At The University of Guelph-Humber, all forms of discrimination and harassment are prohibited. Students and employees have the right to study, live and work in an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. If you need assistance on concerns related to discrimination and harassment, please contact the Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion http://hrs.humber.ca/human-rights-equity-diversity.html or the Office of Student Conduct at email@example.com
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Position Type: FT Administration
Work Locations: North Campus 205 Humber College Blvd. Etobicoke M9W 5L7
Job Family: Administrative Services
Deadline to Apply: September 28, 2021
Job Posting: 9/14/21
Department: Student Services University of Guelph-Humber