Pretty River Academy (PRA) is a unique K to 12 independent day school in Ontario with 150 students and growing, perched at the foot of the Blue Mountains, on a 50 acre natural wetland preserve. Located at the edge of Collingwood, in southern Ontario’s four-season recreational playground, PRA is a desirable place to work and live. For more than 20 years PRA has inspired young students to think critically, lead their peers, and strive for excellence in all they endeavor. Based on the Ontario curriculum, the school pushes students beyond the standard by constantly testing them against the outside world through competitions in science, robotics, math, engineering, public speaking and art. The school regularly tests our students against the outside world by competing in Canada-wide math, science, art and public speaking competitions. Physical education is daily and considered critical for a healthy learning disposition.
PRA’s ultra-modern building features a full-size gymnasium, a large cafeteria and kitchen. The students walk and run on the Georgian Trail and utilize the natural world around them in their daily learning.
The school is enjoying growth due to an influx of new families moving from surrounding cities to live in Collingwood’s desirable small community on the shores of Georgian Bay, adjacent to the province’s most populated ski hills.
The new Headmaster will support the success formulae that PRA staff have developed and practiced over the last two decades, and lead the creation of a new Strategic Plan.
A key task will be to lead and complete the school’s certification with Canadian Accredited Independent Schools (CAIS) which is a critical goal for the school’s next phase.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Lead a culture of learning focused on the Ontario curriculum, and PRA’s unique approach to educational development.
- Provide Instructional Leadership to staff.
- Work co-operatively with the school’s Board of Directors to create and administer school policies and procedures.
- Administer an annual budget focused on enhancing the learning environment.
- Manage the school environment and day-to-day school activities.
- Work co-operatively with parents.
- Assess and evaluate staff.
- Strategic planning for the school’s future.
- Complete CAIS certification.
- Regular reporting to the Ministry of Education (ONSIS & OUAC).
- Oversee maintenance of Ontario Student Records.
- Monitor reporting on student achievement.
- Update and maintain health and safety policies according to Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health guidelines for schools during Covid.
Qualified Candidates should possess:
- Demonstrated school leadership in areas of school management, community interaction, and curriculum leadership;
- Ontario Teacher Certification in two or more divisions;
- Principals Qualifications.
- Ten years of teaching experience.
- Five or more years of Ontario teaching experience (a combination of elementary and secondary is an asset)
- Administrative experience in areas such as human resources, financial management, curriculum development, and policy implementation.
As an experienced leader with a proven track record of outstanding achievements in education, the new PRA Headmaster will possess an understanding of the core values of this unique and successful school, will have successful administrative experience, and exceptional team-building capabilities. As the school focuses on public speaking in many branches of its instruction, the candidate must possess outstanding communication skills, and creativity in further enhancing our student-centered educational program. Strong knowledge of the Canadian independent school landscape and a deep understanding of the Ontario curriculum are key.
The new Headmaster at PRA will have the opportunity to further the improvement and development of our school by leading strategic planning and managing organizational change with a view to the future, and to continue to promote the school as a relevant choice for families seeking an independent school experience.
The Search Committee will begin considering potential candidates immediately and will continue until the role is filled. Applications, including a two-page curriculum vitae, letter of introduction and three references should be forwarded electronically, in confidence, to the school’s search committee. email@example.com