Professor, Design & Built Environment
Find Your Spot at Humber
At Humber, our career paths open up a world of infinite possibilities for you to explore. People are at the heart of the Humber experience. Here, every day we work shoulder to shoulder to deliver excellence, and in doing so, we redefine what it means to be a leader in polytechnic education. Humber employees are a diverse group of committed, caring and fun-loving people.
We take finding and growing the right talent very seriously. We strive to find and nurture extraordinary employees who bring their best each day.
If you are interested in working in higher education and are looking to contribute to the largest polytechnic College in Ontario, as we shape the future of our students and communities, here is your opportunity to join our team.
Position Title: Professor, Design & Built Environment
Status: Full-Time, Permanent
Faculty/Department: Faculty of Applied Sciences & Technology
Campus/Location: North Campus, other campuses as assigned
Salary: Academic starting salaries are determined based on qualifications and years of related experience as detailed in the Academic Collective Agreement
What you will do:
The Professor, Design & Built Environment will be required to teach courses primarily in the Design & Built Environment Cluster of programs within the Faculty of Applied Sciences and Technology at the North campus, and support activities that contribute to Humber’s Centres of Innovation (COI). These courses and activities will include but not be limited to Interior Design, Interior Decorating, Design Foundation, Architecture, and Industrial Design.
The Professor, Design & Built will teach, develop curriculum, design/revise specific courses, create an effective and innovative learning environment for our students, assess student progress and achievement, work collaboratively with colleagues, and participate in committees and related associations. Teaching will be assigned at the North campus and may include teaching at other Humber Campuses as well as virtual/remote teaching as assigned.
The Professor, Design & Built will also support student advising, student recruitment, graduate placement, assist with the promotion and marketing of programs and develop and maintain strong industry ties.
What you bring to the role:
- Master’s degree in a design-related discipline with industry-related experience and certifications, including NCIDQ.
- Other industry specific qualifications such as LEED AP or Well Standard are an asset for cross disciplinary teaching
- Experience in a polytechnic post-secondary education setting, or equivalent experience as a trainer in business or industry is required
- Demonstrable experience integrating industry-led projects into curriculum
- Demonstrated experience managing classroom dynamics
- Experience presenting research through conferences, or publishing in peer reviewed journals, and having an established program of applied research is an asset
- Knowledge of design communication, both manual methods and digital (AutoCAD, REVIT, Adobe Creative Suite,), construction methods and materials, and ability to initiate and coordinate teams of learners working on industry projects / applied research across a broad industry base will be prioritized
- Engaging and effective teaching skills
- Demonstrated ability to coach and support students
- Strong knowledge and application of current pedagogical principles
- Student focused approach and a demonstrated commitment to fostering innovation and positive change
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of principles of equity and inclusion
- Collaborative team player and be committed to a positive team culture
- Developed interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to contribute positively to curriculum development and delivery
What’s in it for you?
- An opportunity to have an impact with a post-secondary institution, poised to do great things.
- Diverse, hard-working, committed team of people who care about each other.
- Tools and technology that will allow you to succeed at your job.
- Work /Life balance with extended health and dental benefits, and above-average days off due to College closure schedules
- Amazing perks
- Highly supportive work culture
At Humber College we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it! Experience comes in many forms, skills are transferable, and a progressive mindset goes a long way at Humber. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying and tell us why you are a great candidate for this job. Find your Spot at Humber!
We thank you for your interest in working with Humber College. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Consideration for Support Staff and Academic positions will be given to internal employees in accordance with the respective Collective Agreements.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Humber College is committed to a workforce that reflects the diversity of our students and our city. We actively seek Indigenous Peoples and individuals from equity-deserving groups with demonstrated skills and knowledge to deal with all aspects of equity, diversity and inclusion in a post-secondary environment.
Humber College is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Our HR Generalists will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. This document is available in alternate formats upon request.
At Humber College, all forms of discrimination and harassment are prohibited. Students and employees have the right to study, live and work in an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. If you need assistance on concerns related to discrimination and harassment, please contact the Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion http://hrs.humber.ca/human-rights-equity-diversity.html or the Office of Student Conduct at firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Type: FT Academic
Work Locations: North Campus 205 Humber College Blvd. Etobicoke M9W 5L7
Job Family: Applied Technology
Deadline to Apply: October 13 2021
Job Posting: 9/15/21
Department: Faculty of Applied Sciences & Technology