Competition: CUPE C21-0208UE
POSTED: September 15, 2021
DEADLINE: 4:30 p.m. September 30, 2021
1 – Permanent Position
CUPE Local 4400, Unit C – Grade J (12 Month)
$27.40 per hour
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Remittance Administration, the Remittance Assistant will:
- Assist with processing of optional deductions, garnishments, sick leave credit gratuities and sick leave credit re-imbursements related to WSIB claims for all TDSB employees in an accurate and timely manner, in accordance with related legislative requirements, TDSB Policies and procedures, collective agreement provisions; and
- Review, verify and process remittance reports.
Summary of Duties:
- Process remittances of deductions on a timely basis with appropriate audit backup and controls. (e.g.: garnishments, union dues, federation fees, statutory deductions, voluntary deductions, benefit plans);
- Analyze and balance remittance reports, adjusting and updating as required;
- Forward remittance documentation to the appropriate institutions to ensure timely disbursements by the payee;
- Adjust GL and/or vendor accounts as required to accurately reflect the results of each pay;
- Initiate journal entries, monitor and ensure data integrity of all payroll liability accounts when requisitions are made through accounting;
- Verify and process Notices of Advances received from WSIB and ensure that the correct adjustments are made to the affected employee records;
- Validate WSIB claim forms and advise supervisor and Health & Welfare of any discrepancies or errors;
- Update and monitor WSIB claims database daily for potential overpayments and sick leave reimbursement;
- Review discrepancies in WSIB records (e.g. Notice of Advances, absence entries, sick leave balances) and take appropriate action;
- Process WSIB invoice payments;
- Maintain and update WSIB invoice payment spreadsheets;
- Identify and record individual cost centres and GL accounts for the appropriate costing of WSIB invoices and gratuity payments;
- Create and forward accounting uploads for WSIB invoice payment;
- Calculate sick leave credit gratuity entitlement and forward entitlement & option letter to employees;
- Process gratuity option forms and validate required information;
- Create and forward accounting uploads to produce gratuity payments and RRSP transfers;
- Process adjustments relating to back dated enrolments of employee deductions;
- Update the SAP HR/Pay system screens to reflect appropriate deductions (e.g. Garnishments, Court Orders, optional deduction changes requested by employees etc.);
- Maintain proper documentation to ensure audit trail and data integrity for all deductions;
- Review pay deduction processing problems to determine source and nature of problem and take necessary corrective actions;
- Provide input into developing and recommending new methods and procedures for improving quality and efficiency;
- Review and respond to employee enquiries and requests;
- Provide information to third parties with employee consent;
- Ensure compliance to FOI and Board confidentiality rules. (e.g. Courts, WSIB, record control);
- Liaise with staff (e.g. payroll, staffing, office administrators etc.) and employees; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Secondary school diploma with one year’s additional related courses (e.g. Accounting, Computer Applications, Communications, Customer Service) with two years of related payroll experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Proficiency and expertise in the use of computer technology (e.g. e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, HR/Payroll and Financial applications;
- Knowledge and understanding of Board and/or departmental policies and procedures, collective agreements, provincial and federal legislation (e.g. WSIB, Family Responsibility Act, garnishee requirements, Revenue Canada etc.);
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate (both written and oral) in a sensitive, courteous manner with a customer service focus;
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork and organizational skills;
- Proven ability to work under pressure in order to meet frequent/strict deadlines; and
- Demonstrated sensitivity and ability to maintain confidential information.
- CPA certification
Location: 5050 Yonge Street (wheelchair accessible)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Work Year: 12 month
- It is anticipated that interviews will take place within two weeks after the closing date of this competition.
- It is anticipated that the successful applicant will commence as soon as possible and practical.
Applications must be submitted:
- in résumé form with a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- with competition # CUPE C-21-0208UE in the subject line
- Apply no later than 4:30pm on September 30, 2021
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the hiring process.