Competition No: CUPE C-21-0209UTE
POSTED: September 15, 2021
DEADLINE: 4:30 p.m. October 7, 2021
Senior Mobile and Web Developer
1 – Permanent Position
1 – Project and Undertaking Position
Information Technology Services
CUPE Local 4400, Unit C – Grade O (12 month)
$42.90 per hour
(The project assignment is until August 31, 2022)
The Toronto District School Board adheres to equitable hiring, employment and promotion practices.
Reporting to Senior Specialist, Web Programs, the Senior Mobile and Developer will be responsible for the architectural design and development of Web and Mobile applications and portal solutions to meet a diverse set of client and end-user application needs at TDSB.
Working with the application solutions delivery team (including business analysts and application/data architects), the Senior Mobile and Web Developer will:
- assist in the design and architecture of Web and native Mobile applications using a diverse range of design and architecture tools, processes and methodologies;
- work with detailed architectural specifications provided by application and data architects, develop, test and implement web and mobile applications and portal prototypes and solutions using a range of development technologies and toolsets, including Visual Studio, xCode, Android Studio, Xamarin, etc.
- assist in the development of application architecture and development standards that will be used at TDSB;
- provide technical and operational application support to a wide variety of stakeholders, including operational staff, project teams, clients, management; and
- assist in the research, analysis and assessment of new technologies, standards and application solutions that may be used to enhance TDSB’s development and/or application environment.
Summary of Duties:
- Design and develop detailed application and database architectural specifications for Web and native Mobile application solutions;
- Build/enhance Web and native Mobile applications and portal solutions by following detailed architectural specifications provided by application and data architects, including:
– Development of native mobile applications for iOS and/or Android using native mobile development tools, including xCode, Android Studio as well as cross platform tools such as Xamarin
– Development and configuration of portal / content management based applications using solutions such as DotNetNuke, SharePoint or InfoPath
– Implementation of off-the-shelf application solutions or components
– Development of application database elements in SQL Server and/or Oracle
– Integration of applications across heterogeneous environments (e.g., Microsoft and SAP) through the development of service-oriented components
– Maintenance of, or enhancements to existing .NET, SharePoint and mobile applications
- Prepare detailed support documentation for all application code and ensure code developed follows current TDSB development standards;
- Participate in code peer reviews and provide feedback where required;
- Ensure all code development activities are executed according to project schedules and target dates are met;
- Monitor the technical work of development team members and provide coaching/mentoring as needed;
- Ensure proper code promotion into production, including implementation planning, creation of change requests, post-implementation testing, etc.;
- Assist application and/or data architects in researching, analyzing and assessing possible technology solutions to address the specific business requirements/needs identified by the project;
- Assist the Enterprise Architecture Committee with ongoing research, analysis and assessment of new technologies and standards in the IT industry that might be used to enhance TDSB’s development environment (e.g. new Web and Mobile application development technologies, off-the-shelf application solutions, best practices, standards, methodologies and development frameworks);
- Assist the Enterprise Architecture Committee with defining and documenting application architecture standards and best practices that will be used in the TDSB application environment;
- Participate in architectural peer reviews to provide constructive feedback on proposed application solutions; Perform quality assurance (QA) in collaboration with the QA testing team, on newly developed, modified or enhanced applications by conducting extensive application testing (unit, integration, functional and performance);
- Document code defects and provide timely fixes to support project delivery schedules;
- Work with application owners/support staff to ensure the smooth operation of all application systems, prepare implementation plans and communicate problem resolutions to clients/users, create custom reports and data extracts as required;
- Perform third level application support by investigating/troubleshooting application-related issues.
- Provide timely fixes for production problems;
- Monitor work of co-op students and contractors to ensure any code developed complies with TDSB standards as required;
- Act as an advisor and consultant to various clients and other teams by providing expert advice related to the internal workings of operational systems;
- Attend technology conferences and training seminars; read a variety of technology journals in order to maintain state of the art knowledge of current and future technologies; and
- Other related duties as assigned.
- University degree in Computer Science/Engineering with three years’ progressively responsible related experience working on application development projects in an Information Technology environment, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience;
- Experience in application and data architecture standards, methodologies, best practices and frameworks;
- Certification required in Microsoft technology, i.e., Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist, Microsoft Certified Application Developer;
- Current experience, expertise and skills required in the .Net Framework, , C#, ASP.NET, MVC, ADO.NET, Entity Framework, structured programming design in Visual Studio;
- Current experience, expertise and skills required in developing complex native and hybrid Mobile applications (e.g. iOS, Android) using development tools such as XCode, Android Studio, Visual Studio/Xamarin, Apache Cordova, etc. ;
- Strong knowledge of the end-to-end software development lifecycle (SDLC), methodologies, processes, standards and best practices for Web and Mobile development;
- Experiencing in developing database components in MS SQL Server and/or Oracle;
- Strong project management skills to manage technology related projects and initiatives;
- Strong and effective presentation skills;
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Strong analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills, and
- Proven ability to work under pressure and consistently meeting deadlines.
- May require occasional travel across the TDSB
Location: 140 Borough Drive (wheelchair accessible)
Hours: 35 hours per week
Work Year: 12 month
- It is anticipated that interviews will take place within two weeks after the closing date of this competition.
- It is anticipated that the successful applicant will commence as soon as possible and practical.
Applications must be submitted:
- in résumé form with a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- with competition # CUPE C-21-0209UTE in the subject line
- Apply no later than 4:30pm on October 7, 2021
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the hiring process.