POSITION: SPECIAL EDUCATION TECHNICIAN
DEPARTMENT: COMPLEMENTARY AND COMPASSIONATE SERVICES
COMPETITION NUMBER: SPECTECH120-2110-01
STATUS: FULL TIME REGULAR
START DATE: NOVEMBER 2021
Kativik Ilisarniliriniq (KI) is a school board offering educational services in the 14 communities of Nunavik.
The special education technician will work with students with physical or mental disabilities, social maladjustments or learning difficulties by applying special education techniques and methods both inside and outside of the students’ regular class.
FUNCTION & DUTIES:
- Help students to be integrated into the regular class to the appropriate degree and modify the instructional activities so that they become accessible to the students;
- Work with the students one-to-one and carry out planned activities, encourage and help him or her in areas where this is deemed necessary;
- Plan, with appropriate support, activities which will help the students to progress to the best of her/his ability;
- Work closely with the regular teacher and/or special education teachers as well as the teacher training counsellor and the KI psychosocial team;
- Participate in the regular evaluation sessions in order to give feedback concerning the students’ progress to other staff members and to the parents of the children;
- May be required to assist the children with his/her physical needs, such as dressing, eating, traveling to and from school, etc.
College Diploma in Special Education.
The Board may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the afore-mentioned qualifications if it finds a suitable candidate who is a beneficiary of the James Bay and Northern Québec Agreement (JBNQA) and who accepts, as a condition of employment, to follow a training plan determined by the Board.
- Experience working with special needs children;
- Fluency both spoken and written in two of the three languages of the board (Inuktitut, English and French);
- Ability to work closely with other staff members and school board personnel;
- Problem-solving skills and adaptability to different situations;
- Behaviour management skills;
- Experience working in Nunavik (asset);
WORK SCHEDULE: 35 hours per week from Monday to Friday
CLASSIFICATION / SALARY / BENEFITS:
In accordance with the AENQ collective agreement for support employees, this position belongs to job category 4207, which is from $23,12 to $33,61 an hour depending on qualification and experience.
In addition to salary, you may be eligible to other benefits such as:
- 20 days of annual vacation
- 2 weeks of vacation during Holiday season
and, when applicable, other benefits such as:
- Summer schedule
- Northern allowance
- Social trips
- Food cargo
All benefits are prorated based on the percentage of the task.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION IS: 4:00 pm, October 28, 2021
SEND APPLICATION BY EMAIL TO:
You must indicate SPECTECH120-2110-01 in the subject of the e-mail.
Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.