STUDENT SUPPORT COUNSELLOR – LD PROGRAM
Organization: Ministry of Education
Division: Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch
Job Term: 1 Temporary, Fixed-Term Position (September 2021 to June 2022)
Job Code: 50466 – Residence Counsellor 2
Salary: $26.03 – $28.63 Per Hour*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Understanding the job ad – definitions
Posting Status: Open
Job ID: 169050
A rewarding opportunity awaits you at The Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch. Currently we are looking for a Student Support Counsellor to support the Amethyst Demonstration School in London. Our mission is to provide place where students, families and staff find support to learn, grow, discover and ultimately, ‘Believe in Themselves.” At the Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch, Amethyst Demonstration School we provide a specialized student lodging school program for students with severe learning disabilities whose educational needs cannot be adequately met in their local boards. Our schools are known for being forward thinking and technologically advanced. Upon entering our doors, you will feel the excitement and commitment to learning excellence.
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of students with severe learning disabilities? Do you have a background in child development and experience in a childcare related field? If so, this career opportunity with the Ministry of Education, Provincial and Demonstration Schools Branch may be of interest to you.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- Provide supervision, guidance and instruction in social and life skills for severely learning disabled students in a residential setting;
- Plan, organize and implement customized individual and group programs designed to meet the personal, emotional and developmental needs of students using a multi-disciplinary approach, including by not limited to physical activities and recreational programs, safety and behavioral plans, social skills lesson plans;
- Supervise, guide and instruct residential students, acting as an appropriate role model, modeling appropriate interpersonal relationships , cooperatives, social skills;
- Provide sound physical care and maintain a safe and secure environment for residents;
- Maintaining meaningful and appropriate communication with students, parents and other professionals by, knowing appropriate communication skills with students; preparing reports on student progress for parents, liaising with parent to update them on student progress in the residence program; participating in case conferences and reviews with other professionals.
How do I qualify?
- College certification from a recognized educational facility and/or equivalent training, education and working experience in a child related field
- Current First Aid, CPR and Crisis Prevention Intervention Training and/or Behaviour Management Training or equivalent
Skills and Qualifications
Your background and experience enables you to meet the following requirements:
- Knowledge and understanding of learning disabilities and behaviour management techniques
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate effective social/recreational/leisure programs geared to meet the needs of students with severe learning disabilities;
- Knowledge of relevant legislation/policies/procedures/guidelines/practices that address student care and safety;
- Excellent communication skills to communicate effectively with students, parents, staff and other professionals;
- Sound judgment and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Willingness and ability to work shifts.
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 10 months, 1515 Cheapside St, London, West Region, Vulnerable Sector Check
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad – definitions
Category: Health and Social Services
Posted on: Friday, September 10, 2021
In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
- You must submit your application using only one of the methods identified below.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Be sure to quote the Job ID number for this position.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
Send application to: PSBjobs@ontario.ca
Send application to and indicate Job ID: 169050 or Competition PDSB21-093.
Collection of Information
Your personal information is being collected and will be used to determine your qualifications for employment with the Ontario Public Service, and for recruitment modernization initiatives. OPS Careers is an authorized common service in accordance with s. 6 of the Ministry of Government Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.25 and this collection of personal information is necessary to the proper administration of OPS Careers.
Please do not provide more personal information than what is asked of you. For example, do not include your social insurance number, photograph, or banking information, etc. with your application. We strongly encourage you not to provide us with information beyond that which is requested in the job posting.
If you have any questions about the collection, use, disclosure, or retention of your personal information, please contact us.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Friday, September 24, 2021 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code
THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO FOSTERING AND MAINTAINING A WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT PROMOTES RESPECT FOR OTHERS, OPEN COMMUNICATION, TEAMWORK AND ACCOUNTABILITY.