APPLICATIONS ARE INVITED FOR THE POSITION OF
SUPERVISOR – LEGAL SUPPORT
Non-Union Level 9 – $73,125 – $87,750
At the Toronto Catholic District School Board, we transform the world through witness, faith, innovation and action. Servant-leadership that is visionary, empowering and inclusive is a fundamental characteristic of our Board. We seek colleagues who demonstrate a powerful personal mission and commitment through action to these principles. We are committed to fairly and objectively recruiting and selecting leaders and staff who are excellent role models, visionary and innovative, student-focused, committed to diversity, inclusion and equity and are also collaborative in building a Catholic community.
NOTE: THIS IS A TEMPORARY POSITION UNTIL OCTOBER 28, 2022
CRITERIA FOR AN INTERVIEW:
- 2-year College Diploma in Paralegal Education/Legal Assistant, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum two (2) years work experience in supporting legal practice and drafting legal documents
- Must be proficient in the use of all major computer software applications such as Microsoft Office Suite e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Knowledge of Acts and Regulations related to Education, Health & Safety, and Human Rights
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple-tasks and deal with constant demands, deadlines and interruptions
- Proven independent problem solving skills and the ability to effectively prioritize work flow with Legal Counsel(s) in different areas of practice
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proven excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, strong attention to details
- Shorthand/speed writing/speed keyboarding utilizing laptop an asset
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to and under the direction of legal counsel – Corporate Services, and, Coordinator of Conflict Resolution – Employee Relations, this position will provide substantive legal support. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide legal information to stakeholders and prepare documents in accordance with relevant laws, regulations and policies
- Prepare draft documents and correspondence (e.g. Memoranda of Understanding and Agreement, in relation to Partnership Development, Student Success; Minutes of Settlement for discipline matters; HRTO Form Responses and Appendices; Hearing Scripts and Decision & Orders for Suspension Appeals/Expulsion Hearings and Exclusion Appeals)
- Perform legal research and analysis on relevant laws, regulations, legal articles
- Perform research on records and legal documents, liaise with external legal counsels and internal stakeholders to compile the information and assemble factual documents
- Support legal counsel and participate in the hearing process meetings and presentations
- Perform any other duties as assigned or required with on-going projects and initiatives, and, any other related administrative and office duties support to the department
Conflict Resolution – Employee Relations
- Provide first level support for referrals to the Conflict Resolution Department
- Provide consultation to the management and staff in relation to matters pertaining to harassment, discrimination and workplace violence
- Advise TCDSB staff about the Board’s policies pertaining to harassment, discrimination and conflict resolution
- Collect and maintain, data and other information regarding complaints, and, prepare reports as required
- Perform any other duties as required or assigned
Diversity and Inclusion
Consistent with the TCDSB’s Employment Equity policy and Multi-Year Strategic Plan, the TCDSB is strongly committed to fostering and creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the stakeholders and communities we serve. As such, we welcome and encourage applications from candidates who self-identify as visible minorities, persons with disabilities, aboriginal peoples and women. You are invited to voluntarily indicate if you identify as one or more of the aforementioned communities. This information will be kept confidential.
Barrier-Free Recruitment and Selection
TCDSB embraces the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and as such, is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please inform the Human Resources department at the time of your application of any requirement for an accommodation. The need for documentation to support the accommodation will be requested as required prior to the implementation of any accommodation measures.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a completed résumé, cover letter, and any related educational documents, and reference letters, no later than Tuesday, September 21, 2021. Failure to complete a full package may impact your eligibility for an interview.
Applications are to be submitted online through ApplyToEducation at:
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Please note, candidates selected for an interview will be required to provide original applicable education documents.