Position: Two (2) Indigenous Language Revitalization Specialists
Formed in 1988, Matawa First Nations Management (Matawa) is a Tribal Council providing services to nine member communities in Northern Ontario. The organization is dedicated to providing its members with advisory and support services in the areas of communications, economic development, education, finance and business, health, membership and technical services.
The Matawa Education Department supports quality, accessible, community-based educational services for seven Matawa First Nation communities: Aroland, Eabametoong, Ginoogaming, Marten Falls, Neskantaga, Nibinamik, and Webequie First Nations. In addition to providing advisory services to Education Authorities and Matawa First Nation leadership, the Education Department administers post-secondary support services for Matawa First Nations; operates the Matawa Education & Care Centre (MECC), a private secondary school located in Thunder Bay; and coordinates the Student Nutrition Program for 8 schools/sites.
Matawa is inviting applications for two (2) full-time (35 hours/week) positions as Indigenous Language Revitalization Specialist with the Matawa Education Department.
Under the direction and supervision of the Education Manager and PASS Administrator, the Indigenous Language Revitalization Specialist (ILRS) is responsible for developing the curriculum and delivery model, including applicable training, for language revitalization within the Matawa First Nation communities in Ojibway, Oji-Cree and Cree. In addition, the ILRS must liaise with various groups within the communities and travel to Matawa First Nation communities to promote the development and ongoing success of the Indigenous Language Revitalization Project.
This contract position is based in Thunder Bay, with travel required by air and/or road to Matawa First Nation communities. The successful applicants will be required to submit a current Criminal Record Check.
Key Job Duties:
- Develop language curriculum and delivery methodology
- Develop and deliver training for fluent Community speakers using Adult Education techniques;
- Develop resources and assessment tools for students and instructors for Language Revitalization;
- Prepare submissions and reports required by Matawa First Nations Management and Indigenous Services Canada (ISC);
- Develop and maintain relationships with external organizations, agencies and businesses;
- Oversee and supervise the project course development and delivery;
- Identify areas of need for further enhancement related to revitalizing language;
- Assist the Education Manager and/or PASS Administrator with development of staff, student recruitment and develop related materials;
- Assist with development of department resources and content for our website;
- Assist with development of promotional materials; and
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge and minimum five years’ experience in using Accelerated Learning and Te Ara Reo methodologies for Language Revitalization;
- Minimum two years’ experience as a Language/Cultural Representative, Advocate or Advisor;
- Experience in curriculum development and instructional design that target language resources;
- Minimum five years’ experience as an Adult Educator in instruction and community training;
- Demonstrated skills in assessment and evaluation;
- Demonstrated good written and verbal communication in English and at least one Indigenous language;
- Minimum three years’ experience in a management position;
- Experience in working in Indigenous communities and culturally diverse settings;
- Good skills in word processing and Adobe Creative Cloud;
- Willingness to work in a variety of settings and travel; and
- Demonstrated abilities to work with a variety of education stakeholders through a consultative process.
Language of Work: English as the operating language with fluency in at least one Indigenous language
For additional information, including specific qualifications for the position, please view the Job Description at the Matawa website: www.matawa.on.ca.
Salary: $70,000 per annum plus applicable expenses
Benefits: Benefits (including health, dental, vision, and vacation) are available pending successful probationary period evaluation
Please submit a summary of experience and three references or a cover letter with resume and three references to:
Matawa First Nations Management
Attn: Sharon Nate
RE: MATAWA EDUCATION INDIGENOUS LANGUAGE REVITALIZATION SPECIALIST COMPETITION
200 Lillie St. N
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7C 5Y2
Fax: (807) 768-3301
Thank you for your interest in working with the Matawa Education Department, however only successful applicants will be contacted.