Position: Vice Principal (1 Year Contract) – Matawa Education and Care Center
Formed in 1988, Matawa First Nations Management (Matawa) is a Tribal Council providing services to nine member communities in Northern Ontario. The organization is dedicated to providing its members with advisory and support services in the areas of communications, economic development, education, finance and business, health, membership and technical services.
The Matawa Education Department supports quality, accessible, community-based educational services for eight Matawa First Nation communities: Aroland, Eabametoong, Ginoogaming, Long Lake #58, Marten Falls, Neskantaga, Nibinamik, and Webequie First Nations. In addition to providing advisory services to Education Authorities and Matawa First Nation leadership, the Education Department administers post-secondary support services for 5 Matawa First Nations; operates the Matawa Education and Care Centre (MECC), a private secondary school located in Thunder Bay; and coordinates the Student Nutrition Program for 8 schools/sites.
The MECC provides a unique learning environment to support students as they move toward the successful completion of their secondary education and continue on their pathways to work, training or post-secondary education programs.
Matawa is inviting applications for the position of Vice Principal (1 Year Contract) with the Matawa Education and Care Center.
The Vice Principal is responsible for supporting the daily operations and on-going development of the MECC and its programs. As well, the Vice Principal assists in the on-going monitoring and reporting, including supervision and evaluation of the MECC teaching and support staff. In addition, the Vice Principal must liaise with various community agencies, businesses, organizations and government departments, and travel to Matawa First Nation communities and schools to promote the development and ongoing success of the school and its programs.
As a highly skilled and motivated professional who possesses specialized knowledge and expertise in school administration, the Vice Principal utilizes their experience in instructional leadership and staff supervision to ensure the MECC courses and programming meet Ontario Ministry of Education curriculum standards, expectations and learning outcomes. This is a requirement for approval by the Ontario Ministry of Education to provide secondary school credits and graduation diplomas. The Vice Principal is responsible for assisting in the accurate and timely preparation and submission of all reporting required by the Education Department Manager, Principal, the Ontario Ministry of Education and Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada related to the MECC and its students.
- Current Certificate of Qualification and Registration and membership in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers
- Ontario Principal’s qualifications recorded on their Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Qualification and Registration
- Knowledge of INAC education funding and programs
- Knowledge of First Nation governance, cultures and life styles
- Knowledge of Ojibwe, Oji-Cree or Cree is considered an asset
- Knowledge and experience with computer systems (Apple preferred)
- Experience working in a First Nation school, as a Vice-Principal or Principal
- Demonstrated leadership skills and initiative
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of education stakeholders (eg. parents, students, co workers, administrators, government representatives) and to achieve results through a consultative approach
- Willingness and ability to travel as required, to both road-accessible and fly-in communities
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, presentation, and analytical skills
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License
We offer competitive salary commensurate with education and work experience. The successful applicant will be required to submit a current Criminal Record Check and TB skin test. This is a contract position of one (1) year starting August 2021.
Please submit cover letter with resume and three employment references to:
Matawa First Nations Management
ATTN: Sharon Nate, Executive Director-Education Department
RE: Vice Principal
200 N. Lillie St
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7C 5Y2
Fax: (807) 768-3301
Closing Date: Until Filled
Thank you for your interest in working with the Matawa Learning Centre, however only successful applicants will be contacted.